Installed Bakflip MX4 - love this thing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m very surprised these are still so popular, look cool? Yeah. But gotta add inner rails, drain tubes that don’t drain get clogged up then start stinking like mildew dog shit, they’re also not even close to water tight, particularly as they age. I had one on my Silverado the rubber weatherstripping on the passenger side + middle panel began delaminating/pulling up exacerbating the water issue. I had the G2 version which required it being open to close the tailgate = annoying after about 2 weeks. I believe that isn’t the case w/ then MX4

The fiberglass panels can become waterlogged during freeze/thaw winter conditions. Even their “Hd” version w/ AL panels are crap- they have styrofoam cores & warp over time. I believe gator/bak are now one and the same, the draw on these was “full bed access” w/o removing the the cover & theyre “hard” so more secure in theory.

In practice they fall apart in 2-3 years, have a complicated install, are expensive, are born water tight & will only be less so the More you use them.

If you don’t really use the truck for “truck shit”, or don’t really open/close it a lot or drive a ton of miles, or don’t mind knowing water will penetrate & get your stuff wet, & just need to have a cool looking “low profile” tonneau, then I suppose this is the cover for you then?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m very surprised these are still so popular, look cool? Yeah. But gotta add inner rails, drain tubes that don’t drain get clogged up then start stinking like mildew dog shit, they’re also not even close to water tight, particularly as they age. I had one on my Silverado the rubber weatherstripping on the passenger side + middle panel began delaminating/pulling up exacerbating the water issue. I had the G2 version which required it being open to close the tailgate = annoying after about 2 weeks. I believe that isn’t the case w/ then MX4

The fiberglass panels can become waterlogged during freeze/thaw winter conditions. Even their “Hd” version w/ AL panels are crap- they have styrofoam cores & warp over time. I believe gator/bak are now one and the same, the draw on these was “full bed access” w/o removing the the cover & theyre “hard” so more secure in theory.

Wow. I have only had mine installed for 7 months....but zero things you have described are true for my experience with the MX4.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had mine for 6 months, 5 blizzards, and heavy rain storms with absolutely no issues and I use mine a lot.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Had an F1 on our 2013 shop truck for nearly 4 years and an MX4 on our 2018 shop truck for nearly 2 years and have had none of those issues except minor water ingress during heavy storms.

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my Bakflip on in 2011 or 2012, so after 7-8 years it's still looking and operating great. Very little fade and I'm in the Phoenix area. Only (small) problem is the exposed hardware (rings) have rusted. I'm guessing Bakflip has probably changed to s/s on these covers.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell I thought the cover was an improvement over covering stuff with a tarp.

Maybe if you need it to be 100% water tight and don't carry large items it the bed a minivan would be more to your liking?