Installed BAK MX4 yesterday and its ok!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_Frost

Reaction score
I received the MX4 in record time thanks to Apollo Optics. Install took about 45 mins not long at all in 100+ degree weather we are having in Florida right now. After installing everything and having it on for about two days it down poured yesterday, perfect time to test how water resistant this thing is. Well I was extremely disappointed that significant amount of water got in. This is by no means any fault of Apollo Optics, but fault of BAK. First, the seal that you install at the front of the bed is made of foam which water soaks right through. The install video I watched had a rubber one, so at some point BAK cheaped out and went with cheap foam. This wouldn't make much sense if you wanted something that is water tight and now I'm going to find a rubber seal to replace the foam with. Second, the foam seal is also too short in height and looking from under the bed cover you can see a couple of gaps that sunlight pokes right through it.

After I seal this with something that will make it water tight I will update this post. As of right now I would not recommend this for the purpose of keeping water out of the bed. I hope BAK switches back to a rubber seal instead of foam in the future.

Last edited:

Admin.RealTruck

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would suggest reaching out to BAK industries directly at 818-365-9000 or contact Apollo directly and inform them of your issue as they should be able to get a new seal sent out to you promptly. BAK and RealTruck are under the same company and we deal with this cover very frequently and personally haven't heard of this issue but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We have had a lot of luck with this cover successfully keeping the elements out, BAK will certainly get this resolved for you!

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a BAK on my old truck for about 8years and yes it leaks, and I did a lot of mods trying to seal it up, it helped but still leaked I have a ReTrax on my Raptor and I get an occasional little drip coming in once and awhile but put a bed rug in the floor of the truck and no problems at all. Good luck and if it keeps leaking try the bed rug floor insert that keeps your stuff separated from any water that might make it in.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had problems with the rubber seal on the long ends. Mine was all warped at one of the panel bends and would not lay flat, letting water in and looking like crap. Sent multiple emails to BAK with zero response

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a custom foam seal I flashcut for mine and it stays as dry as I'd hope, it sealed well prior to my intervention as well. The bed itself has visible leak points from underneath all over the place, so I cannot complain about my MX4 at all.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has all stock fittings, and it will leak a tiny bit around where the cover meets the gate, and that is if it's a HARD rain. It gets like a 1/2 oz spritzed around in the corners. Unless I had open electronics or something similar in the bed, it's fine. I did put a dust seal around the gate that helped a lot to keep things nicer in the bed too. That would be good no matter what cover you have. I'm completely happy with mine.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have one on my 18 F150 XLT and no issues. I installed it a little bit forward than I should have initially so I moved it back down and good to go.