Installed - Backup lights - Baja Design S2 Pro Wide Cornering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the 2021 Rear Baja Design S2 Reverse Light Kit w/ long harness I got from @Specialtyperformanceparts . Very pleased with kit especially the custom harnesses and customer support from John. Like how the BD S2P tuck up high and under the rear bumper.

My GEN 3 is a 2021 order delivered in Jan 2022 and I don't know how consistent the builds are so you might have a different setuup/experience.

I posted some comments and pics about having to remove the battery in order to crimp the AUX wires. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/help-problem-with-upfitter-switches.88683/post-1743892

TIP - Mounting the S2Ps. Insert the mounting bolt thru the bracket. Attach the S2P to the bracket FIRST (I followed John's advice regarding bracket orientation), then attach the assembled light & bracket to the truck. I initially loosened the bolt on the truck with a T40 and impact drill and reattached using a 3/16 allen wrench and was able to crank it down.

Ground location - I could not find any pre-existing grounded wires anywhere near the grounding wire other then a huge grounding wire and bolt so I used a 3/16 allen wrench and used the bolt show in the pic which is between the right rear tire and the spare when underneath and looking at the inside of the rear bumper. The entire bumper/frame is grounded so it will be fine.

In addtion to being tied into the regular reverse lights, the long harness from @Specialtyperformanceparts allowed me to wire it to AUX 6. The S2Ps draw 1.7A each, the switch is rated for 5A and I wanted the far right AUX switch to control the reverse lights. (AUX 1,2,3 will be controlling the 3 light BD fog kit I have coming).

Room for an allen wrench
Room to use an allen wrench

Grounding location
IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4698.jpeg

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not yet. got done just before the super bowl and did not feel like taking pics afterwards. i'll take some tonight or tomorrow night and post

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen3 looks just like the Gen 2 installation. I have pics of my S2 Pros Wide Cornering which I took last night for another thread. The lights off picture is darker but the Iphone has that night brightening feature. The forest is 100 feet from the back of the truck.

lightsoff.jpglightson.jpg

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Good work.

I have squadron sports for about the same output as those S2 pros and the pics look similar. But, the S2’s have some advantages, particularly being lower profile. I’ve bottomed and smacked one of my squadrons out of alignment once :-/ easy to readjust but yeah.

I may have to look at these S2’s and find a new home for the squadron sports out back.

This will spoil you though, when you have to back up any other vehicle.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
My gen 2 kit spliced right into my reverse light wire, can we not do the same for the gen 3? That’s what I planned on doing when I get my truck this weekend.

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the BD box came with connectors and instructions as if they were purchased without any custom harness so it seems that everything is there for you to splice into the reverse light wires if desired.

I wanted the custom harnesses so I could activate the rear lights from the AUX switch in addtion to them working when in reverse.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the BD box came with connectors and instructions as if they were purchased without any custom harness so it seems that everything is there for you to splice into the reverse light wires if desired.

I wanted the custom harnesses so I could activate the rear lights from the AUX switch in addtion to them working when in reverse.

I did this by grabbing power from the battery - I tried unsuccessfully to find Jen Too constant or even switched power with enough juice. Raptor uses a smart STOOPID trailer plug so you only get power under certain conditions doors closed, not in park, engine on, correct moon phase, day of the week that contains the letter “T”, etc. However, the ground and reverse on the trailer plug are good.

I used a 5 pin relay ; ran 2 runs to the engine bay for up fitter and constant power, got reverse and ground from the trailer plug. I posted on it a while back. Pro tip: even if it’s a “weather proof” relay, wrap it well. A good, hard rain will laugh at your weather proof relay ;-)

Probably a 2-3 pint job.