Installed 37's on Gen3 35 Raptor - no issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Craig

Reaction score
Couple questions, if anyone knows:
I thought the 37 package was geared exactly like the 35, so acceleration and gear changes when comparing a 35 package with 37 inch tires would react/handle the same as a 37 package with 37 tires...is this correct??

Second, regarding a spare, has anyone put a 37 spare on 35 package and NOT have to tow strap it or do any mods? As in, does it fit stock? I read the thread on putting a 37 spare on, but seemed everyone had to use a tow strap or something and some couldn't fit it period.

I am considering 37s but I did have a blow-out last week on my 35. First blow-out in like 15 years!! Something ripped the tire right down the middle. I never saw it.

Thanks!

Chazzersgarage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the 37 package was geared exactly like the 35, so acceleration and gear changes when comparing a 35 package with 37 inch tires would react/handle the same as a 37 package with 37 tires...is this correct??

Second, regarding a spare, has anyone put a 37 spare on 35 package and NOT have to tow strap it or do any mods? As in, does it fit stock? I read the thread on putting a 37 spare on, but seemed everyone had to use a tow strap or something and some couldn't fit it period.

I am considering 37s but I did have a blow-out last week on my 35. First blow-out in like 15 years!! Something ripped the tire right down the middle. I never saw it.

Thanks!
The 37PP and the 35 are geared the same. There may be some differences in the clutches and shift points in the 37PP transmissions. I've seen some stuff in writing to indicate this but I haven't found anything from ford to confirm it one way or another.

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 37PP and the 35 are geared the same. There may be some differences in the clutches and shift points in the 37PP transmissions. I've seen some stuff in writing to indicate this but I haven't found anything from ford to confirm it one way or another.
Almost certain there aren't any differences around clutches and/or shift points, PN are same for each trans. It's possible the shift tables that are adaptive might be different but that is something you can reset in Forscan to some capacity as I have done that. The actual Trans tune being different likely can only be answered by Goose or one of the tuners that's seen both.

Thanks!
I changed my spare to 37 and ran around with it normally attached without a ratchet strap just fine. You can pull it forward some when tightening the cable mechanism and really get it snug. I would only imagine during heavy offroad usage could it swing forward. In normal driving mine never moved and/or had lack of clearance. I however put a small ******** it just to be safe, I frankly don't think it's needed though.

crv

Reaction score
I saw someone on here ask COBB and this was their reply:

Torque requests and transmission shifting behavior are all done based either on engine speed or transmission output shaft speed which won't be impacted by programmed tire size.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission and gearing etc is identical from 35 to 37 package. It would be intriguing to see how the truck would react with like a 4.56 gear ratio. I bet it would be PERFECT with 37's.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission and gearing etc is identical from 35 to 37 package. It would be intriguing to see how the truck would react with like a 4.56 gear ratio. I bet it would be PERFECT with 37's.
probably. I have no clue why they didn't up it. Ive been pricing the rubicon with the 35 inch tire package and they change the gears to a 4.56. to accommodate the size difference. they even show the options to up to a 4.88. but the dealer said that wasn't available even though it shows up on the website. no brainer. at least give the option.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably. I have no clue why they didn't up it. Ive been pricing the rubicon with the 35 inch tire package and they change the gears to a 4.56. to accommodate the size difference. they even show the options to up to a 4.88. but the dealer said that wasn't available even though it shows up on the website. no brainer. at least give the option.

You can't really compare a 260hp POS V6 wrangler with a 6 or 8 spd trans to a 450hp Raptor with a 10 speed for gearing lol

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't really compare a 260hp POS V6 wrangler with a 6 or 8 spd trans to a 450hp Raptor with a 10 speed for gearing lol
where am I comparing. I just said that having the option of changing the gears from the factory as you increase the size of tires would be a nice option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4x4ready

4x4ready

Reaction score

I had zero issues fitting my 37 in the stock spare location fully inflated

Last edited: