GEN 2 Install Retrax PowerTraxPro XR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racemetal

Reaction score
Installed the the Retrax PowerTraxPro XR today.
Instructions say it's a two person job. So, of course, I did it alone. Smashed 3 fingers and I'm not in the hospital so I'm considering this a success.
Easy install. Spent a good amount of time routing the wire harness from the battery back to the bed. The rolling motion is supposed to smooth out over a couple days.

The space left after install:
1) from back edge of canister to the inside surface of the tailgate, 52"
2) width between edges of rails, 58"

Very pleased with this cover!

Last edited:

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on saving a few fingers to smash in future jobs. There's no trophy for smashing all in one job. Add me to the list of happy Retrax owners. The only thing I don't like is the engineering of the drain tube connectors. The tubes pop out if anything in the bed slides into them or you try to pack stuff under the collector box. A small box, tarp, targets, gasoline-powered turtle neck sweater, metric crescent wrench, etc.

OP
OP
Racemetal

Racemetal

Reaction score
Congrats on saving a few fingers to smash in future jobs. There's no trophy for smashing all in one job. Add me to the list of happy Retrax owners. The only thing I don't like is the engineering of the drain tube connectors. The tubes pop out if anything in the bed slides into them or you try to pack stuff under the collector box. A small box, tarp, targets, gasoline-powered turtle neck sweater, metric crescent wrench, etc.

That's a very good point. They definitely block out some room beneath the canister. A much more clever design is in order. How much water goes down those tubes? It seems pretty well sealed so even in a downpour I wouldn't think you'd get a lot of water draining. But what do I know,...

Yeti Rojo

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd one in 4 months of ownership. The 1st one leaked so bad it was like all of the water that landed on top was funneled into the back right and left corners of the bed. Unfortunately, that's where I keep my golf shoes, so I had an unpleasant surprise when I put them on the morning I learned of the problem.

The 2nd one apparently didn't have a control to prevent it from over-extending, and once it was closed it couldn't be opened.

The 3rd one appears to be much drier than the 1st one. I've had a couple of times where the remote wouldn't open or close the cover. It would open a few inches and then just stop. For some reason turning the cover light on and off restored the power to the unit and resolved the problem.

When it works, I think it's terrific. If I had it to do over again I'd probably just get the manual one.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Retrax covers and the RollnLock. Still undecided at this point, but I like how the Retrax has no "hump" cover in the front of the bed as the RollnLock does.

Regarding the power Retrax, when you have it closed, is it basically locked? I read a review somewhere that said you can pretty easily push it open. Is this true or once closed it's really locked up? I also like the Retrax design that allows you to lock it in place along any open posistion along the bed. Just trying to see if the 500+ power option is worth it or just as secure as the manual.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Retrax covers and the RollnLock. Still undecided at this point, but I like how the Retrax has no "hump" cover in the front of the bed as the RollnLock does.

Regarding the power Retrax, when you have it closed, is it basically locked? I read a review somewhere that said you can pretty easily push it open. Is this true or once closed it's really locked up? I also like the Retrax design that allows you to lock it in place along any open posistion along the bed. Just trying to see if the 500+ power option is worth it or just as secure as the manual.

My opinion: I've never wished I had the power version of the Retrax Pro. Less weight, less that can go wrong.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I asked Retrax the weights on both the powered and non powered. It was a difference of like 20lbs. So that's basically nothing. Longevity? I guess no telling how long the powered cover can last. 3yr warranty isn't that long if you plan to keep the truck for a long while. There is a big price difference between the two. So that's why I am trying to see if it's worth it.

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used these to keep the tubes in place and they have worked well since May.
Good luck!61ba43641fcd8cbd6d795d7ecde76900.jpg828433e48f178a38026caaedeec1c0a5.jpg

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR