How To Install F150 Headlight Switch fog / driving lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, it is not Sunday as planned, but I tackled this tonight. Here is a recap and tips:

1. For the switch, when looking at the plug from behind (where the wires are), the ground signal wire goes to the top right and the feed for the fog indicator goes to the bottom right. Here is a pic:

IMG_3400.jpg

....ignore the wire colors, the blue is the ground and the black is the positive return. I put the wires in before testing, figuring I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right and didn't bother to flip them after.

For the relay, ignore the image I posted earlier... here is how I wired using a basic 4-post relay:

30 (power source): Wired to fuse box
86 (switch): Wired to OE parking lights. I mounted the relay near the Aux relay box under the hood, so I tapped into the wire going to the hood LEDs. If you look at the loom going up the hood, there is a yellow wire. That is your 12v going to the hood LEDs.
85 (ground): Wired to the ground wire in the pic above
87 (12v output): Wired to the new lights (don't forget to the return to the switch in the pic above to illuminate your indicator!). I grounded the lights seperately to a body bolt.

Now, some of you may be asking... why did you wire to the parking lights as a switch? The answer came from my wife's Mustang. I recently installed Roush fog lights, which came as a complete wiring kit, but they tapped into the wires in the same fashion I just described.

The benefits of wiring this way is that the new fog lights will come on ANY time the parking lights come on (assuming you have the fog switch turned on). This means that your new fogs will come on as entry/exit lighting even with the truck off! I think this is a pretty neat feature. If you don't want it to work this way you can either leave the fog switch off OR wire 86 to a switched 12v source. Keep in mind that if you wire to a switched 12v source the fogs will act as DRLs if you leave the switch on all the time. You may prefer the DRLs, the Roush kit gave you the choice depending on what wire you tapped.

With my method, they come on automatically as entry/exit lighting or when the BCM commands the headlights to come on. This is a key reason I wanted to wire up a factory fog switch as opposed to just running on a manual Aux switch. I have plenty of other lights wired to the Aux switches, I wanted something I could run daily without blinding other drivers. Here is a pic of my current lighting scheme:

IMG_3374.jpg

The two small cube lights are what I'm running on the fog light switch, while everything else is wired to Aux. Here is what it looks like at night:

IMG_3402.jpg

...and from inside:

Just headlights
IMG_3403.jpg

Headlights and fogs
IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

I hope my additions to the thread help those considering this upgrade. It is fairly easy and a great way to add some light without the Aux.

Adam

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use the stock/existing plug?

2014 Terrain SuperCrew
Vortex Mud Guards ~ Husky Floor Liners ~ Rigid Dually Flushmounts ~ Rigid Dually Clear & Amber Fogs ~ Recon Smoked Mirror Lights ~ Bakflip FiberMax & BakBox ~ SVC Tune ~ Rigid 20" E2 Series - Combo ~ Mid Perch ~ Underhood & Bedlights by Noah

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Fry's and picked up a connector that already has the proper d-sub pins WITH wires attached. It was cheap and I can salvage the wires to insert into my factory plug.

View attachment 60436

:)

I had to order this plug from Amazon.

2014 Terrain SuperCrew
Vortex Mud Guards ~ Husky Floor Liners ~ Rigid Dually Flushmounts ~ Rigid Dually Clear & Amber Fogs ~ Recon Smoked Mirror Lights ~ Bakflip FiberMax & BakBox ~ SVC Tune ~ Rigid 20" E2 Series - Combo ~ Mid Perch ~ Underhood & Bedlights by Noah

Last edited:

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a pic of where you mounted the solenoid?

2014 Terrain SuperCrew