How To Install F150 Headlight Switch fog / driving lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, when you turn the switch on it sends a ground signal out. This would normally go to the BCM to activate the lights. Instead, you can send it to a standard 4-pin relay.

mad_electrical_relay-c.jpg

The second wire going to the switch is optional and it is a 12v+ signal to illuminate the fog light indicator on the switch. You would wire this to the same #87 from the relay.

I went to Fry's and picked up a connector that already has the proper d-sub pins WITH wires attached. It was cheap and I can salvage the wires to insert into my factory plug.

image-2258898447.jpg

The only answer I don't have at this point is which pin is which (for the two new ones) on the connector. That will be easy to figure out once my switch shows up since one will get grounded when the fog is switched on and the other wont :)

Last edited:

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when you say it like that it sounds silly :p

It was only a couple bucks and the same price as the bare d-sub connectors since their smallest pack was a 50-pack and this way I didn't have to worry about attaching the wires to the d-sub :)

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean it that way, someone posted above you could use a pick and get them out of the original plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTXgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but you should be able to just add the two wires to the stock plug. That is why Ika was showing different options for getting the pins.... to add to the stock connector. So I picked up the d-sub with wire, to add to the stock connector.

I will know 100% for certain once I tear into on Sunday.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but you should be able to just add the two wires to the stock plug. That is why Ika was showing different options for getting the pins.... to add to the stock connector. So I picked up the d-sub with wire, to add to the stock connector.

That is what I did.

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now I got it. Makes sense now.