How To Install F150 Headlight Switch fog / driving lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The switches from a 2012 and 2013 are different even though they look a like. I recently went to my local dealer and purchased a 2013 switch and the part numbers are different so is the price. The 2013 switch is cheaper than the 2012 and has a BA in the part number and the 2012 has a CA. The parts guys said the pins for the power where in a different location and that that is why the part numbers where different. I included a picture of the part number on my switch for those looking to purchase a 2013 switch

I believe that the "CA" is a Canadian part, atleast that's what I found out when looking at the Ford remote access. This would explain the higher cost as well. Also, Canadian cars have a DRL's.

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea, someone should package and sell a kit for this. I would like to install fog or driving lights, either in the outer openings or by the license plate...and having them powered by the headlight switch would be perfect. :waytogo:

xtcbct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the kit form for this idea. It would be really helpful. Seems like something right up SDHQ's alley!

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome write up! Im a bit confused how you wired the relay though, could you elaborate? I thought relays were triggered with a 12v and not a ground?

OP
OP
SVT_4X4

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome write up! Im a bit confused how you wired the relay though, could you elaborate? I thought relays were triggered with a 12v and not a ground?

You can purchase and/or wire relays to be triggered however you want them to be based on how you wire them. For example like a horn relay I think are all triggered by ground. When you push the horn button it send a ground signal to the relay which sends 12 volts to the horn. They same goes for the headlight switch that Ford is using. It is not sending out 12 volts, but is just going to ground as I recall. So when the relay sees that, it turns on the lights.

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can purchase and/or wire relays to be triggered however you want them to be based on how you wire them. For example like a horn relay I think are all triggered by ground. When you push the horn button it send a ground signal to the relay which sends 12 volts to the horn. They same goes for the headlight switch that Ford is using. It is not sending out 12 volts, but is just going to ground as I recall. So when the relay sees that, it turns on the lights.

Ok, I I have only ever wired relays 1 way so I didn't know you could switch them around. Some googling comes across the attached diagrams for using a negative to trigger a positive so I will wire it up that way.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Negative Relay Trigger.gif
    Negative Relay Trigger.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 85