How To Install A Mag-Hytec Rear Differential Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome thread and instructions. I installed an AFE cover tonight and it was pretty much the same procedures. The only minor differences were the different torques for the bolts and the additional hardware. My only issue was getting the stock diff cover off. Once I finally got the seal broken the rest was easy.

OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^

Hey thanks. Glad it worked out for you.

Ford did a good job of sealing the stock diff cover.

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mines still on the garage work bench. Had a lightening strike fire at the house so big burnt hole in the roof takes a slightly higher priority. Lol. I'll get to it shortly.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Question for the OP, I noticed that the inside of your diff looked super clean before you installed the cover. Did you just use the lint-free rag you mentioned to wipe everything down and scoop out the excess? Nothing else? Thanks.

OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^

lint free rags is all that I used to clean it out.
It cleans up quickly using this method. You'll be surprised.

Zach

Reaction score
Great write-up! I like the creativity with the clear tube. I was immediately annoyed when I saw those special stud/bolt/plastic-holder things that held the cable over the stock diff cover. I wish Mag-Hytec supplied an easy/clean solution (the stock stud/bolts are not long enough for the thicker flange on the Mag-Hytec cover).

I went a different route and cut some little tabs out of 1/8" aluminum flat bar. I drilled and tapped one end of each tab to accept a screw of the same thread size and length as the stud that the OEM plastic pieces attach to. The other end of the tab was drilled for the bolts supplied with the cover. Once attached, it effectively made three 'offset studs' that the OEM plastic clips could attach to.

Sorry for the crappy iphone picture. I removed the spare to do the swap - made it a lot easier.

By the way, we need to get them to make a trans oil pan for the 6R80 in our trucks. I e-mailed to ask them if they had plans to, but no response...

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited: