Input on Potential Gen 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sloracer

Reaction score
Make sure you check the moonroof. Better to break it at the dealer's than at home. You could even open it "wrong" instead of babying it the way folks do when they're afraid it will break.

THIS! Mine broke about the 3rd time I opened it a week from the dealer..... haven't wanted to be without my new truck so I haven't even called it in yet let alone schedule it....

OP
OP
G

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As smurfslayer mentioned, the drive mode will change shift feel significantly. However, that being said, there was a TSB released (18-2079) with a software update for harsh/delayed shifts; per warranty history, that TSB was never performed. If you have it updated the shift performance should be much improved.

I also noted that this truck had the cam phaser TSB performed in 11/20, so it has the updated part numbers and calibration.

It also had new rear brake pads and rotors installed 03/21. The previous owner had a Ford premium maintenance plan, so maintenance records are documented in the system.

after test driving another raptor this morning (the white one in my OP link) I can safely say that there is an issue big time with the 2nd link grey one. The grey one downshifted violently like there was a lot of tension on the driveline. Maybe it’s a u joint in the DS and not the tranny. However the white one was butter smooth when I gassed it from cruise at 60 in 10th gear down to 5th or 6th.

The dealer that has the grey one is sending it to a Ford dealer Monday to have it checked out - I may take the day off and drive it up there for them so I can understand what’s going on and hopefully take someone for a ride and get their thoughts.

Does the 60k drivetrain coverage cover the tranny/U-Joints fully?

Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
G

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS! Mine broke about the 3rd time I opened it a week from the dealer..... haven't wanted to be without my new truck so I haven't even called it in yet let alone schedule it....

I tested the hell out of both trucks sunroofs with tilt and slide several times. Both had no issues. Probably cycled them each 5-7 times. The white raptor I drove today seemed louder than the grey.

Harry Ford

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. Looking to buy 2020/2021 new Raptor. The ones I have seen the dealer markups are crazy, not sure how to go about buying at/ close to MSRP.

krzperfo

Reaction score
@Goosed I just drove the 2018 F150 Raptor you mentioned above. Streetsboro - VW dealer. Man, that thing just felt old and rattley. It felt as old as a 2010 Honda Civic. Just all around a strange test drive.

What ended up with your experience? I read your post this morning before I headed out. Was half expecting to see you show up and buy it before me lol. I honestly wouldn't have taken that thing for 40k lol

https://www.vwofstreetsboro.com/inv...150-raptor-4wd-4d-supercrew-1ftfw1rg7jfc41504

OP
OP
G

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Goosed I just drove the 2018 F150 Raptor you mentioned above. Streetsboro - VW dealer. Man, that thing just felt old and rattley. It felt as old as a 2010 Honda Civic. Just all around a strange test drive.

What ended up with your experience? I read your post this morning before I headed out. Was half expecting to see you show up and buy it before me lol. I honestly wouldn't have taken that thing for 40k lol

https://www.vwofstreetsboro.com/inv...150-raptor-4wd-4d-supercrew-1ftfw1rg7jfc41504

Too many questions with that truck. Couldn’t get synch head unit to work, no radio, no backup cam. They checked after I left and said two trailer wires melted together and they think it caused the issue. Was it working for you? Passenger front felt like it was clunking bad. I don’t think I’m moving on it. Guess that’s why it was $51k.

the grey one is not available right now. Been at a Ford dealer since Thursday last week when I crawled under it there were leaks. Looked like transmission and transfer case. Another very odd truck that may have been too abused to consider. Now looking at a 2019 but it’s just an 800A... really wanted powerfold mirrors to better handle my garage spot.

krzperfo

Reaction score
Yes! Passenger front was clanking bad! Totally forgot about that too. So when you drive back toward the lot there's a small bump in the huge turnaround area. My f150 2019 supercrew did it no problem. No noise. This raptor hit the same spot and I thought the damn thing was going to fall apart lol

BTW, Nationwide that is the lowest priced 2018 or newer raptor w/ miles under 50k. That thing should have sold at 55k if it wasn't such a POS. I told the guy I wouldn't even take it on a straight up trade for my current truck lol

krzperfo

Reaction score
Now I get why Megan said that Sync head unit was repaired lmao. They were telling me about work they just did over the phone. When I came in person they were doing more work with bulbs. How the hell have these guys had this truck for 160 days and not sell it by now lol. Someone overpaid when they bought this thing! I am seriously thinking that Megan wasn't lying when she told me they got it via auction.

krzperfo

Reaction score
Those car dealer guys at VW claimed they sold 3 McClarens this week and a couple NSX's too lol. Man I can't believe that place ugh