Input on Potential Gen 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 Gen 2 46k miles with 801A and a few options beyond (twin panel, remote start, torsion Diff).

$50,900 before the haggle starts. Thoughts anyone? Carvana is buying my wrangler straight out for $46k (bought it new for $38,609 on a steal) and I was waiting for the Gen 3 but doubt I’ll be able to touch one without ADM for at least a year.

https://www.vwofstreetsboro.com/inv...150-raptor-4wd-4d-supercrew-1ftfw1rg7jfc41504

also just looked at this one - About fully optioned out.

https://www.junctiongm.com/VehicleD...hardon-OH/4779852053#vehicle-quote-4779852053

Last edited:

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking lately, and that's a good price. Take a look at the carfax to make sure it isn't a lemon buyback. I've seen some good prices at Ford dealerships, but they were lemon buybacks. The carfax will show it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you check the moonroof. Better to break it at the dealer's than at home. You could even open it "wrong" instead of babying it the way folks do when they're afraid it will break.

OP
OP
G

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it. Sounds like the stars have lined up for you.

I’d pull the trigger

Agree with previous posters— I’d do it. Seems like a win / win. Don’t get too greedy and miss a good deal.

Excellent Deal if everything checks out. Way below most prices.

I've been looking lately, and that's a good price. Take a look at the carfax to make sure it isn't a lemon buyback. I've seen some good prices at Ford dealerships, but they were lemon buybacks. The carfax will show it.

Make sure you check the moonroof. Better to break it at the dealer's than at home. You could even open it "wrong" instead of babying it the way folks do when they're afraid it will break.

just as a multi reply thanks for the feedback. I drove the grey one today with the 802A.

Has me wanting to ask a question regarding the transmission in these, the only Raptor I have owned is a Gen 1.

I was jumping on the pedal about 60-70% while cruising at 60 mph in 10th gear. When I would hit the throttle there was quite a bit of bang and shutter when it downshifted to 5th or 6th. Surprised me. Is this just the nature of the beast with these 10 speeds or should it be a quick smooth downshift and go? It didn’t feel right but I have been driving manual transmissions for so long.

As far as carfax they are both clean no lemon no accidents. The sunroof on the 2017 grey 802 was fine. Clean truck all around but rear axle housing had lots of surface rust, typical around here so it is what it is.

Driving the white one tomorrow to compare and see what it’s transmission feels like.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was jumping on the pedal about 60-70% while cruising at 60 mph in 10th gear. When I would hit the throttle there was quite a bit of bang and shutter when it downshifted to 5th or 6th. Surprised me. Is this just the nature of the beast with these 10 speeds or should it be a quick smooth downshift and go? It didn’t feel right but I have been driving manual transmissions for so long.

it depends on whether you were in normal drive mode (eco) or sport mode. I’ve found that going from 10th to 5th involves a slight pause, then engagement. In sport mode, all shifts are a bit on the side of firm. It’s not a Lincoln Town Car. I sometimes get an intermediate shift and then another downshift, elongating the process further. Normal mode does not smile upon part throttle downshifts, a lot of time it will stick in gear and try to boost its way through, and by the time you realize you need a lower gear, no amount of throttle will permit downshift.

Sport mode holds gears at no lower than 2000 rpms to alleviate some of this and the strategy to shift is more aggressive.

A comparison drive could tell you if you have a less refined shifting transmission or not.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just as a multi reply thanks for the feedback. I drove the grey one today with the 802A.

Has me wanting to ask a question regarding the transmission in these, the only Raptor I have owned is a Gen 1.

As far as carfax they are both clean no lemon no accidents. The sunroof on the 2017 grey 802 was fine. Clean truck all around but rear axle housing had lots of surface rust, typical around here so it is what it is.

Driving the white one tomorrow to compare and see what it’s transmission feels like.

As smurfslayer mentioned, the drive mode will change shift feel significantly. However, that being said, there was a TSB released (18-2079) with a software update for harsh/delayed shifts; per warranty history, that TSB was never performed. If you have it updated the shift performance should be much improved.

I also noted that this truck had the cam phaser TSB performed in 11/20, so it has the updated part numbers and calibration.

It also had new rear brake pads and rotors installed 03/21. The previous owner had a Ford premium maintenance plan, so maintenance records are documented in the system.