Injen CAI and CEL.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked out a 2017 Raptor today. It has a Injen CAI installed on it. The guy that traded it in works at the dealer where It’s being sold. I got to talk to him about the truck and he states that the CEL showed up after the install. He didn’t get a tune for the CAI. The truck still has to be serviced and the moon roof has to be fixed before it can be sold. So would the dealer remove the CAI and install a factory air box or get a tune on it?
2EF5169F-764C-48C3-B92C-F76544EA7314.jpeg608413C1-386B-4FFA-BC48-563D2F5CDFF8.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That’s not enough information. The 2017 is relatively forgiving compared to the ’19 and up Raptors. We’ve seen CAI cause issues before but without knowing the code, what’s wrong is a wild @ss guess.

Until you start pushing serious power - beyond the level of most tunes out there, the intake isn’t holding you back. Maybe the filter element but that’s easily replaced. I don’t think they’d be able to sell it with a CEL if it’s anything even remotely related to emissions, and you would be unwise to buy one in that condition.

If the guy who traded it works there he should have the original intake, it would be worth asking about, IF it wasn’t some unrelated issue causing the check engine light.

OP
OP
MarkM98

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy said he has the stock one. Sounds like it would be worth while to have it put back in. I plan on checking back on that truck on Monday to see when the service on it is finished and see if they fix the CEL Or change the CAI back to the factory air box. After looking at the pictures again I think that would be best.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Breathing in a lot of hot air it looks like it is missing a plate to block from engine compartment , maybe not so bad in winter , Summer no way would that work well.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the CEL pertains to the CAI, I would make sure everything else with it is sound and just get a tune to fix the CEL. That’s a nice CAI setup

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Breathing in a lot of hot air it looks like it is missing a plate to block from engine compartment , maybe not so bad in winter , Summer no way would that work well.

I’ve heard that too, but the dyno showed different, repeatedly, back to back, on multiple sessions on the dyno and multiple vehicles.

No matter how much data presented, it won’t be enough to survive an internet forum. I picked almost 10hp at the wheels on my ’97 SVT mustang, and 3 or 5 hp on the other. No matter how many people did it, and picked up power, this “you’ll heat soak the intake” discussion never goes away.

That said, I think probably the intakes on the stock vehicles are a lot better in this era - Hell, the Eco Raptor puts out more at the wheels than my ’97 Cobra did at the crank! By a LOT ! Also, I’m a bit less enthusiastic about open elements on a truck that will very likely see mud and more than a little. So I won’t be doing an open element setup on my Rap, but I think there is possibly room for more power IF there isn’t a chokepoint north of the intake.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know it should have the divider plate to block off some of the radiator heat at least. More than likely not a issue at speed . I like the air going into the engine from outside only for best air density possible. Heat soak going to happen sitting still no matter what.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Looks like it has boost tubes. Code could be due to no air flow wing thingies.

20221112_102411.jpg

But without more information, it's a wild ass guess.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a open hole grommet right under ingen emblem. I have the JLT Cai and AMS boost tubes. To install. JLT is open element but still fed by outside air from snorkel. In the Summer arizona go back to stock box and de tune . Paper filter for the dust storms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230205_100154_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230205_100154_Chrome.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 10

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve heard that too, but the dyno showed different, repeatedly, back to back, on multiple sessions on the dyno and multiple vehicles.

No matter how much data presented, it won’t be enough to survive an internet forum. I picked almost 10hp at the wheels on my ’97 SVT mustang, and 3 or 5 hp on the other. No matter how many people did it, and picked up power, this “you’ll heat soak the intake” discussion never goes away.

That said, I think probably the intakes on the stock vehicles are a lot better in this era - Hell, the Eco Raptor puts out more at the wheels than my ’97 Cobra did at the crank! By a LOT ! Also, I’m a bit less enthusiastic about open elements on a truck that will very likely see mud and more than a little. So I won’t be doing an open element setup on my Rap, but I think there is possibly room for more power IF there isn’t a chokepoint north of the intake.
A Starbucks runner will likely be fine with an open element but when you start using the raptor as intended, there is a reason it has a paper filter. Open element filters simply don't filter as well and turbo vanes do not last long without proper filtration.