Initial Review of ICON 3.0 coilovers and Billet UCA's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can i adjust the icons to your height level on my torsen equipped truck and still use 4x4 safely?
Can i do this with using a different UCA like say the RPG raceline? Or do i need the adjustability of the icon UCA?
Thanks.

I don't think the UCA is the issue... I think on the 12+ trucks, the issue is the angle the highest lift puts onto the front axle CVs, causing a slight bind. Greg (Squatting Dog) knows more about the issue...

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are talking about two different things..
Adjustability of UCA allows more adjustment in alignment (camber/caster). Once you go to mid/upper perch heights is sometime necessary.

Adjustment of preload/ride height is done through the adjusting the ICON coilovers. On 2012 and up you do not want to go any higher than 26.5" (measured from center of hub to fender lip). If you go any higher it will cause binding and tearing of cv boots while in 4wd. I have close to 10,000 miles at this (mid/upper height) with no issues (this mileage includes 2013 TRR and Bullrun).

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Last edited:

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Adjustability of UCA allows more adjustment in alignment (camber/caster). Once you go to mid/upper perch heights is sometime necessary.

Adjustment of preload/ride height is done through the adjusting the ICON coilovers. On 2012 and up you do not want to go any higher than 26.5" (measured from center of hub to fender lip). If you go any higher it will cause binding and tearing of cv boots while in 4wd. I have close to 10,000 miles at this (mid/upper height) with no issues (this mileage includes 2013 TRR and Bullrun).

How could you possibly leave out the SnoBall 500? I believe that was an event you will never forget bring something special to your life, and have to explain to the grandkids one day....you are the Squatting Dog!!!!!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't forgetting Snoball 500, at that time I was still set 24" or so. It was not until I received new nationals, I raised front to 26.5"...

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Can i adjust the icons to your height level on my torsen equipped truck and still use 4x4 safely?
Can i do this with using a different UCA like say the RPG raceline? Or do i need the adjustability of the icon UCA?
Thanks.

I only use my 4WD in really slippery conditions, and in fact since I posted this I have gone up even higher. I am now at top perch+ height with a slight nose up appearance. I would stick with what Greg said if you want to be safe.

as for the UCAs, any of them will work I just liked the idea of being able to adjust the upper arms to make them longer and pull the lower arm out within adjustment to retain a factory stance that is sometimes lost when raising the front height due to the change in suspension geometry.

spartanraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the responses guys. So will i be able to use the Icons on the height setting they are sent at? Or will i have to request to have the lowered to mid setting like yours Greg?
Im wanting to have the front end as high as possible without having to buy RCV's. And i do use my 4x4 alot with our climate..

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I raised mine considerably from where ICON sent mine. They send them out at a little above mid-perch height if I remember correctly so you should be ok with leaving them as-is. However it is super simple to adjust the height of them and double check yourself. Just buy a spanner wrench from ICON if you're feeling fancy so you can easily adjust the height prior to alignment.

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ICONs are set 5 full turns higher from the factory setting. Looks a little nose high, but actually measures out close to level.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
national springs

I wasn't forgetting Snoball 500, at that time I was still set 24" or so. It was not until I received new nationals, I raised front to 26.5"...

How much did the national spring raise the rear?

Did you use the hd or standard version.

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What setting do you have your front and rear at? Most talk about soft for the road but I'm not sure that is the best it seems very bounces. I went on 200 mile run over the weekend and that was perfect but on road still trying to dial them in. Any help would be appercatied.

Thanks, Glassman