Initial Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound insane, but stay with me here. Since it's already an electronic shifter (i.e. fake lever), I'd actually prefer a dash mounted selector to free up all of that space and the option of either a second huge forward center console or even a temporary middle seat (i.e. bench). I'm sure ford could engineer a nice looking center seat that offers 6 passenger seating in a crunch. Either option would be a much better use of that space vs. a fake gear lever.

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The ride difference is the only reason I'd move to a gen 3. I'm glad to hear it's working well for you and I hope to hear more of the same.
Really?!?! I love the way my Gen 2 rides… it could not be the list of upgrades and a 10k adm?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I have to live with a shifter there, I want the workspace. But I think putting the shifter there is stupid, so sign me up for neither. And Ford can keep the push button starter. My wife just had her knee replaced so I'm driving her all over town in her Lezbaru. God I hate that push button starter. F***ing tech. It just sucks. Solutions in search of problems.

Confused about your reference to push button starter. Is the subaru start button significantly different than the Raptors or you're in favor of turning a key over push button in general? Personally not a fan of the keys. Besides just not having to carry the extra key, I would occasionally trigger the locking and be unable to get the key out or some other issue.

As far as the shifter, I do like having a place to put my hand, but I think I'd be ok with dial shifting. Shifter does get in the way at times. I would not want a column shifter. And I have no interest in a middle seat option whatsoever. I like having the console storage, cup holder, front storage, etc, and do not want someone stuffed in next to me.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Confused about your reference to push button starter. Is the subaru start button significantly different than the Raptors or you're in favor of turning a key over push button in general? Personally not a fan of the keys. Besides just not having to carry the extra key, I would occasionally trigger the locking and be unable to get the key out or some other issue.
I don't think so, but the only Raptor push button I've used was on my test drive. It's the whole hassle of locking/unlocking. It's just touchy enough to be annoying. It's probably no more hassle, but every time I have to **** with it I think "I paid extra for this?". And there's the issue of theft if you don't remember to lock it every single time you are outside of the car. If cars weren't in short supply, I'd love it if someone stole the Lezbaru. But if cars weren't in such short supply, I'd have traded it in by now, so there's that.

If the key gets stuck, it's usually that it was turned off with tension on the steering wheel. Turning the wheel to release the tension will release the key.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think so, but the only Raptor push button I've used was on my test drive. It's the whole hassle of locking/unlocking. It's just touchy enough to be annoying. It's probably no more hassle, but every time I have to **** with it I think "I paid extra for this?". And there's the issue of theft if you don't remember to lock it every single time you are outside of the car.

Locking/unlocking a vehicle without a key isn't any different than one with a key, except that you have more options. Are you referring to the unlock by touching the door handle? Yes, if you unlock this way (or any other way) you will have remember to lock it afterwards. Personally, I tend to just use the the lock button on the door when I get out. I just touch the door handle to unlock. Easy.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really?!?! I love the way my Gen 2 rides… it could not be the list of upgrades and a 10k adm?
It's probably due to his Gen2 having some miles on it. Even 20k on suspension vs brand new is a noticeable difference. People forget what their vehicle USED to feel like new

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OH yeah, I like to leave my keys in the console vault. Can't do that with a fob unless I track down a decent Faraday cage.