Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun and HVAC results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
It seems like many of us have issues with mostly the AC and not so much the heat. Right now, I only have either extreme heat or extreme AC cold. I also have some vents that blow much more air than others. I want to purchase an Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun from Amazon or similar and use this to diagnose my system on video for the dealer. Each time I bring it there, it's working slightly better, and they claim no issues found. I figure if I can use a temp gun and point it at the vent, I should see what some actual data and numbers are. Plus, it's good to have in the tool box for Trans temp etc...

Anyone have a suggestion online of a product they are happy with? We can then all purchase and maybe finally solve this AC issue? The summer is on the way and I don't feel like sweating in a $80k truck. Maybe we can finally prove that the vents aren't blowing hard enough and the bottom end isn't producing cold enough air? There has to be some type of standard for all vehicles.
Hey, so I’m not sure if you had this figured out yet but I think I just did. I’m having the same issue where once the outside temp reaches 50° or so and it wants to start heating the cab it goes full heat and I can’t get it to anything until I turn it all the way down to low and then it goes full AC. I took it to my service advisor Ford and guess what? They just had a field tech go out and look at my truck and it was miss-built apparently. It doesn’t have a sensor where one should be or the wire harness to install one. so they have to swap out the HVAC head for a different HVAC head unit. they said the sensor reads that the cab is -71° so that’s why it’s trying to heat it up like crazy. I hope this helps but mines at Ford right now waiting for that. I think the new steering racks installed but still waiting for the HVAC head and that’s another story.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is not right, have to lower it about 5-7 deg/f cooler then you want it. In auto at 63 in summer and 65 in winter. Works great in auto just have to run a lower set point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, so I’m not sure if you had this figured out yet but I think I just did. I’m having the same issue where once the outside temp reaches 50° or so and it wants to start heating the cab it goes full heat and I can’t get it to anything until I turn it all the way down to low and then it goes full AC. I took it to my service advisor Ford and guess what? They just had a field tech go out and look at my truck and it was miss-built apparently. It doesn’t have a sensor where one should be or the wire harness to install one. so they have to swap out the HVAC head for a different HVAC head unit. they said the sensor reads that the cab is -71° so that’s why it’s trying to heat it up like crazy. I hope this helps but mines at Ford right now waiting for that. I think the new steering racks installed but still waiting for the HVAC head and that’s another story.
Please keep us updated with this and post part numbers if possible.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't figure out if mine is wrong or not. Sometimes I feel like its working ok and other times I feel like something is off. I'd to have another vehicle side by side and compare.
Same, I’ve been using auto mode lately which I never typically use in vehicles, and seems to be working decently well.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s weird that the auto feature would work better. Something seems up.
I’m not really saying better. To be honest the only time it doesn’t seem to work right to me is when it’s 35-40 or below outside, which you know doesn’t happen in coastal SoCal.