GEN 2 Info or opinions on component setups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the the morel ultra tempo components as you suggested in the front doors using the cross overs that came with them. Got a set of the morel tempo ultra integra for the back doors should I run them full range or use the crossover on the amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should run them full range to start. It’s tricky because the rear is fill only and it’s really for your rear passengers. If you don’t get the timing right.... running full range pulls the sound image down from in front of you to somewhere around your center console or gear shift. Been there. Done that.

You can attenuate that problem by passing the rear channels at 7500k but you lose the full range for your rear passengers and also end up crossing over on top of the built in crossover which causes weird things to happen.

The better way, is to get the time delay set properly.

I am running the the morel ultra tempo components as you suggested in the front doors using the cross overs that came with them. Got a set of the morel tempo ultra integra for the back doors should I run them full range or use the crossover on the amp.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I run my rears 200-2000hz 24db slope.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Do not run rears full range, rear fill is mid range only. I'd start at 350hz-5000hz to start, then squeeze them in from there...trial and error. I also usually run a very shallow slope around 6db...because what's the point of a steep slope with no transition to another speaker?? For time alignment, a good starting point is anywhere from 12ms-20ms...should add a nice reverb effect and add depth to the music, and maybe some width too. Most people get rear fill wrong and screw up a good front sound stage. You should never actually hear your rear fill speakers and NO, rear fill is not for your rear passengers. Rear fill is the add to your front stage. Your passengers will be perfectly fine listening to the front stage and MOST will never know you have/or do NOT have rear speakers. I usually run NO rear speakers and I have NEVER had a passenger complain about the lack of rear speakers or even noticed. With that being said, I wouldn't worry about putting a high end speaker in the rear doors...an entry level mid range will be fine. Components: If you are planning on a 2-way front stage, (midbass speaker & seperate tweeter) A nice 6.5" like the Morels will be perfect for the front doors. If you were to try a 3-way front stage (mid bass, mid range, tweeter) then I would go with as much cone area as you can for the mid bass as possible....I run 10" woofers in my doors and can go with out my Subwoofer if I desire. Your mid bass plays a pretty small window in the frequency range anyways...say, 60-300hz give/take. The mid range will take over from there on up to the tweeters starting points. Ultimately, how everything sounds is solely dependent on install/tuning/ & clean power. I love Morels when set up for success.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree.

And

Agree

———

I agree that rear fill is midrange only if you’re building a competition grade system that is staged for the driver.

It’s not rear fill when it’s a family hauler.

The guy asking is running rear 2 way coaxial speakers. So he does have a crossover point.

It’s very common to run full range two way in the rears.

Do not run rears full range, rear fill is mid range only. I'd start at 350hz-5000hz to start, then squeeze them in from there...trial and error. I also usually run a very shallow slope around 6db...because what's the point of a steep slope with no transition to another speaker?? For time alignment, a good starting point is anywhere from 12ms-20ms...should add a nice reverb effect and add depth to the music, and maybe some width too. Most people get rear fill wrong and screw up a good front sound stage. You should never actually hear your rear fill speakers and NO, rear fill is not for your rear passengers. Rear fill is the add to your front stage. Your passengers will be perfectly fine listening to the front stage and MOST will never know you have/or do NOT have rear speakers. I usually run NO rear speakers and I have NEVER had a passenger complain about the lack of rear speakers or even noticed. With that being said, I wouldn't worry about putting a high end speaker in the rear doors...an entry level mid range will be fine. Components: If you are planning on a 2-way front stage, (midbass speaker & seperate tweeter) A nice 6.5" like the Morels will be perfect for the front doors. If you were to try a 3-way front stage (mid bass, mid range, tweeter) then I would go with as much cone area as you can for the mid bass as possible....I run 10" woofers in my doors and can go with out my Subwoofer if I desire. Your mid bass plays a pretty small window in the frequency range anyways...say, 60-300hz give/take. The mid range will take over from there on up to the tweeters starting points. Ultimately, how everything sounds is solely dependent on install/tuning/ & clean power. I love Morels when set up for success.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Disagree.

And

Agree

———

I agree that rear fill is midrange only if you’re building a competition grade system that is staged for the driver.

It’s not rear fill when it’s a family hauler.

The guy asking is running rear 2 way coaxial speakers. So he does have a crossover point.

It’s very common to run full range two way in the rears.
Are you doing the install? Are you serious bro? We all know why it’s common...Cause it’s An easy sell.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Op. If you need any advice about your Audio build feel free to pm me. The advice I’ve seen on this site has been real close to shit

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is disputing the ideal configuration of a competition grade stereo.

Not everyone is on that path. Nor is it ideal for a passenger vehicle that isn’t staged specifically for the driver.

I have seen very high end configurations in people movers that have 3 way components in EACH row. Is that IASCA ready? No. Is it for a people mover? Yes.

Is it ok for him to run COAX in his rear doors? It is. Can you tune it to work? You can. Can you save multiple tune configurations where you cross it over and cross it out for “proper” staging? You can. Can you have another preset tune that is full range when you are hauling passengers and want then to have a fuller sound? You can.

As a matter of fact.... I’m probably going to a two way rear stage. Why? Because I can, and I can tune it out when I need.

I absolutely agree with going with larger midrange woofers in the front doors where possible, especially if you have a 3 way stage.