GEN 2 Info or opinions on component setups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone try the infinity perfect component sets yet.
Also what is better 6.5 or 6x9 component for the fronts?
I know there are a lot of people that love focals so k2 vs kx2 really worth the money difference?

I currently have 6x9 three way kappa in front doors and tweeters in a pillars as well. I do not believe that is a correct setup not sure why but that’s what I have been reading.

Anyway any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3-ways and tweeters is not the correct setup. Components is the correct setup.

6.5" vs 6x9 is an everlasting debate. You will find better speakers in the 6.5" category as a lot of high end speaker lines dont offer 6x9's. I personally prefer 6.5".

Not sure what your budget is but if you want something that is smoother than the Focal k2, check out the Morel Tempo Ultra 602. $400.00 but well worth it. From a sound quality perspective, far superior to the k2 and a better value.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a budget but it’s long dead now. Just looked at the morels they do have a 6x9 option. Would you still go 6.5?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a budget but it’s long dead now. Just looked at the morels they do have a 6x9 option. Would you still go 6.5?

I am biased regarding 6.5” and I have personally experience with the morel tempo ultra 602 and they are truly phenomenal speakers. Their midbass is extremely impressive and the tweeters are very smooth and natural. The midbass on the tempos is even better than the morel Virtus which is the next step up.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience is similar. If you want truly natural sounding music, you want 6.5” speakers. The 6x9 elongated cone is not as clear and will introduce a muddier, distorted sound in comparison. What you gain in low frequency isn’t worth what you lose in sound quality.

Audiofrog makes a nice line as well. I recently did Hertz, but in my opinion, the only audiophile grade they offer is their very top model which is pushing $1500 just for a 3 way setup. Now granted the Hertz mille legend does live up to its namesake. It’s as good as it gets in terms of timbre, clarity, clean power handling, imaging, etc. I willing to bet Morel is a better value with similar performance.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a pre made adapter plate to go from 6x9 to 6.5 made already that you guys are using or is that something I’m gonna have to make.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found some morel ultras 6.5 component for $292 and ordered the Metra adapter plates. Gonna give them a try. Thanks for the info

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a pre made adapter plate to go from 6x9 to 6.5 made already that you guys are using or is that something I’m gonna have to make.

I order all of my speaker adapters from Mobile Toys in College Station, Texas. 50.00 for the adapters plus shipping. Cnc machined with threaded inserts. Custom made to order. Can’t beat their quality and craftsmanship.

Mobile Toys
909 University Dr E # B, College Station, TX 77840
(979) 268-6066
https://goo.gl/maps/oiGysJzNiQS2

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have been reading my mind I am waiting on a stage 3 setup and jl amp from them already was gonna cancel my Metra order and give them a call to see their price on another jl amp and adapters

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have been reading my mind I am waiting on a stage 3 setup and jl amp from them already was gonna cancel my Metra order and give them a call to see their price on another jl amp and adapters

Do that! The metra adapters are junk in comparison!