Info For Californians Who Buy Out of State...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MO to CA

Reaction score
I recently purchased my 2019 801A SCREW from Missouri and drove it back to CA. I was able to negotiate a significant amount off MSRP vs the ridiculous $15k+ upcharge from the local SoCal dealers. As an additional sweetener, the dealer I purchased from does not charge any dealer paperwork fees; some dealers that I ran across were as high as $800. In fact, the dealer agreed to me not paying any taxes or registration to them; I would just pay directly to CA DMV when registering locally. I literally just paid them the negotiated cost of the vehicle and nothing else. Easiest for both parties, in my opinion, and I suggest you try to do the same if you are ok not financing the tax.

Here are a few things I learned along the way that will help you save money, too.

Things you need to register:
- Certificate of Origin
- Fill out this form: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/forms/forms/reg/reg343.pdf
- You do NOT need a weight certificate if you have a Certificate or Origin since the Raptor is under 6000 lbs and it lists the shipping weight on the COO. CA may refer the COO as an MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin).
Source of info: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/vr_info#BM2534
- A smog check
- Bill of sale
- VIN verification, which can be done at DMV or CHP office

I decided to drive back instead of shipping since flights were pretty cheap, and the car shipping industry seems potentially unscrupulous. I was getting quotes for about $1900 from shippers I was actually considering, but it cost about $1k (all-in) to fly out and drive back. Aside from saving a little cash, I was able to drive the I-70 for some awesome views, and break-in the truck for the smog check. I did get a temporary MO plate for $5 to be able to drive it back.

Some dealers dislike Californians looking for Raptors out of state. Brandon Ford in Florida was the best example I ran across since they flat out refuse to sell it to someone in California, ultimately saying it's their policy. Their initial tactic is saying that the vehicle cannot be smogged here, but we know that ALL Raptors meet the same emissions standards regardless of what is on the window sticker, as evidenced by the emissions sticker under the hood. In fact, the one I bought did not show it on the window sticker. Brandon admitted to me they knew this as well, but "it's their policy." Talking to Brandon Ford was like trying to explain how magnets work to a 3 year old. :emotions122:

The road trip was awesome - here are a few pics:

Somewhere in Utah
oUhrCYk.jpg

Middle of nowhere in Kansas
JImxsJn.jpg

@ 11,000 ft elevation in the Colorado Rockies
oznZnCw.jpg

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
KC or STL dealer?

Yeah....in MO.....all license fees and taxes get paid after the fact. you have 6 weeks to get it done.

That drive on i-70 from KC to Denver is about the most boring thing in the world.

How many days did you take?

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice color choice. I purchased from a Detroit dealership and had it factory courtesy delivered to a local dealership with no additional shipping charges. Went through all the stuff you listed as far as registration, smog, etc...

The courtesy delivery fee ($300 in my case) was paid for by the Detroit dealership.

How many miles on the truck after the drive? I take it no issues?

OP
OP
MO to CA

MO to CA

Reaction score
I bought just outside of St. Louis. Kansas was a little boring, but I really didn't mind. The drive back took a little over two days, but that second day was just under 900 miles. Podcast series, Sirius radio, and some quality drive time with my dad helped. In total, it was about 1865 miles to get it back. No issues whatsoever.

St Louis to Grain Valley, Missouri on the day I picked it up: 194 miles
Grain Valley to Glenwood Springs, Colorado: 777 miles
Glenwood Springs to SoCal: 894 miles

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought just outside of St. Louis. Kansas was a little boring, but I really didn't mind. The drive back took a little over two days, but that second day was just under 900 miles. Podcast series, Sirius radio, and some quality drive time with my dad helped. In total, it was about 1865 miles to get it back. No issues whatsoever.

St Louis to Grain Valley, Missouri on the day I picked it up: 194 miles
Grain Valley to Glenwood Springs, Colorado: 777 miles
Glenwood Springs to SoCal: 894 miles
Glad all worked out for you

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk