Infamous Cam Phaser Rattle….? AGAIN….?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t think that’s cam phasers, sounds more like wastegate to me, but I’m far from an expert. Get it checked out at the dealer bro!

Sounds normal. Phaser rattle is a distinct 2-5 second noise; I’m not hearing that. If you place a camera near an engine you’re going to pick up a variety of noises, it’s a mechanical device with a lot of moving parts. That doesn’t mean there’s an issue.

Do you have maintenance records for the truck? It should have had at least 3 oil changes by now, ideally with full synthetic and Motorcraft filters.
Hi Fordtechone
I have a question, and I hope you can help. I hardly drive my truck, and it sits in my garage. I've noticed that if the truck sits for a long time, and I try to start it. I hear a cam phaser rattle noise. But it i start it every couple of day, there is no noise. Is this normal ? I'm thinking maybe the oil drains from the top of the engine and causes this noise due to lack of oil pressure. I change my oil religiously every 3000 miles. I use amsoil signature series. Its rated for 25000 miles. My truck only has 7500 miles on her. 3 oil changes have been done already. Please help ?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Fordtechone
I have a question, and I hope you can help. I hardly drive my truck, and it sits in my garage. I've noticed that if the truck sits for a long time, and I try to start it. I hear a cam phaser rattle noise. But it i start it every couple of day, there is no noise. Is this normal ? I'm thinking maybe the oil drains from the top of the engine and causes this noise due to lack of oil pressure. I change my oil religiously every 3000 miles. I use amsoil signature series. Its rated for 25000 miles. My truck only has 7500 miles on her. 3 oil changes have been done already. Please help ?
You may be mistaking normal valvetrain noise for a cam phaser noise. It only takes one night/cold soak for the oil to drain from the phasers, which will expose a phaser issue if one exists. After an extended period of sitting, the oil will drain from the heads and lash adjusters. That causes some valvetrain clatter until oil pressure builds up in the heads on the subsequent cold start, which is normal.

OP
OP
RaptorNewbie2018
Reaction score
What was the mileage when you purchased it used? Did they provide service records from the previous owner?
It had a little over 12k miles in 2019 when I got it. No service records provided... It was traded to a Dodge Dealer. Has a little over 22k now. Advisor sent me a text noting the Shop Forman is the one working on my truck & he apparently verified that the Exhaust Manifolds are what's causing the noise & needs to be replaced. IDK... I feel this might be all of the above.. Cam Phasers, Exhaust Manifold, Stagegate..... I guess I'll see what it sounds like when I get it back. At least 2 of the 3 will now be fixed. Parts are on order. Thank god I decided on getting the ESP coverage. I almost decided against it. I'll post an after video when all is said & done.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck can go days without cam phaser rattle and then it can rattle after sitting for an hour or so. No rhyme or reason with mine.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be mistaking normal valvetrain noise for a cam phaser noise. It only takes one night/cold soak for the oil to drain from the phasers, which will expose a phaser issue if one exists. After an extended period of sitting, the oil will drain from the heads and lash adjusters. That causes some valvetrain clatter until oil pressure builds up in the heads on the subsequent cold start, which is normal.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this ? I've heard about stepping on the brake and gas pedal to cycle the engine, and that helps build oil pressure, so that doesn't happen . Is that ok to do ? Crank the engine for like 8 seconds helps ?

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to prevent this ? I've heard about stepping on the brake and gas pedal to cycle the engine, and that helps build oil pressure, so that doesn't happen . Is that ok to do ? Crank the engine for like 8 seconds helps ?
Oh and by the way..Thank you for any possible advice that you have given me..

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To prevent noise after an extended time of not running? It’s not necessary, but you can enter clear flood mode by holding the accelerator to the floor while cranking.

Dawgfan77

Reaction score
I'll be watching this one for updates. I have noticed the same noise on my 20'
Ironically enough, I developed the same noise on my 2015 EB following a dealer service. I chased it for weeks before I finally found a loose skid plate bolt that they had cross-threaded in and left it. It didnt cinch tight enough to completely close the clip, which allowed it to rattle from time-to-time. So that was my immediate thought when I noticed it on my Raptor... now thinking it may be a bigger issue :(