Infamous Cam Phaser Rattle….? AGAIN….?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2018 Gen2 Raptor with 22k miles, bone stock mechanically and never driven hard or off road.. I’m the second owner & this was my first truck. I started noticing the truck being a little clickity clackity on cold start a while back, but assumed it was normal since the noises stopped after about a minute. It was only after receiving the “Cam Phase Rattle” recall on the FordPass App recently that I thought, “Hmmmm.. Maybe this is what I’ve been hearing all this time”. I decided to contact my dealer & make an appointment. Dropped the truck off and was told they would perform the “reprogramming” fix as a solution to what I was hearing. A day later I was called & informed the reproamming did not fix my rattle & I would need my Cam Phasers replaced. Was nervous but was told that “this was kinda common on the F150’s”. Ok I guess…. (never knew that).. A week later I get my truck back. All covered under my warranty thank god. But…Next morning, after picking up my truck, I still hear the damn rattle and I feel it’s even worse than before…. To make matters worse, the truck just doesn’t seem right now…. Feels kinda sluggish to me now.. I’d also swear I’m feeling more vibration at times when idle at a light. A couple days pass & I feel the rattle is getting even worse. Spoke to the service manager who assured me they would have their lead shop forman contact Ford Engineering for instruction on what the next phase of repair would be after cam phaser replacement. Seems Ford Engineering did not have an answer.. other than, continue to troubleshoot the issue & possible replace cam phasers again. It’s now BACK at the dealer for round 2…. I’m getting really nervous now & wondering if any other Gen2 raptor owners experienced a repeat rattle issue immediatly after getting their truck back from having a replacement done.. Maybe its me…. Here’s a video of a coldstart.. Just don’t seem right.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My money’s on waste gate.
I can’t say there aren’t collateral issues, but of the cam phaser sounds I’ve heard, this is not that.

@FordTechOne has forgotten more about cam phaser rattle than all of the other users of FRF combined know. If he would take a listen and offer comment, it would be advice worth listening to.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s not phaser rattle for sure. It sounds normal to me when the audio pickup (phone?) is held under the engine area at startup.

That said though, it does sound like you’ve been running it low on oil and likely 10k between changes. Possibly running plain Dino oil. It needs an oil change now with a full synthetic SP rated oil. Also needs the battery charged to full capacity. Who has done the service work?

Otherwise it sounds normal.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds normal. Phaser rattle is a distinct 2-5 second noise; I’m not hearing that. If you place a camera near an engine you’re going to pick up a variety of noises, it’s a mechanical device with a lot of moving parts. That doesn’t mean there’s an issue.

Do you have maintenance records for the truck? It should have had at least 3 oil changes by now, ideally with full synthetic and Motorcraft filters.

OP
OP
RaptorNewbie2018
Reaction score
Sounds normal. Phaser rattle is a distinct 2-5 second noise; I’m not hearing that. If you place a camera near an engine you’re going to pick up a variety of noises, it’s a mechanical device with a lot of moving parts. That doesn’t mean there’s an issue.

Do you have maintenance records for the truck? It should have had at least 3 oil changes by now, ideally with full synthetic and Motorcraft filters.
The audio on my iphone can only pick up so much... I've only had it serviced at my local Ford Dealership and have had them change the oil religiously at 70-80% dash alerts. Not really sure what they typically use during that service. They apparently changed the oil again when they "Replaced all VCTS & all one time use hardware and gaskets" last week. I watched a few videos of the "wastegate rattle", & it sounds identical to what I'm hearing. I dropped it off at the Ford dealership last night & waiting for their call... I'm tempted to call them & ask them to focus in on the wastegate but don't want to redirect their normal troubleshooting steps as though I know WTF I'm even asking them to focus on. You guys are likely dead on with your thoughts though. We'll see what they say..

OP
OP
RaptorNewbie2018
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s not phaser rattle for sure. It sounds normal to me when the audio pickup (phone?) is held under the engine area at startup.

That said though, it does sound like you’ve been running it low on oil and likely 10k between changes. Possibly running plain Dino oil. It needs an oil change now with a full synthetic SP rated oil. Also needs the battery charged to full capacity. Who has done the service work?

Otherwise it sounds normal.
All services done at my local Ford & I'm top of all oil changes way before they're due. Battery was inspected during last weeks VCTS replacement & it all checked out.

OP
OP
RaptorNewbie2018
Reaction score
They just called to tell me they need to stay with the truck another day to continue troubleshooting.... and would probably have it all week for repair.. Arghh.... They've provided great customer service since day one, so I don't anticipate having any issues with them, but this still kinda sucks.. I questioned the advisor about it maybe being the wastegate based on forum thoughts. He knew of that as being another issue with "turbos", but said this was "more along the lines of being Cam Phaser related".. :shrug: No choice but to wait & trust that they're techs will resolve it & not want a third repeat visit for the same damn issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All services done at my local Ford & I'm top of all oil changes way before they're due. Battery was inspected during last weeks VCTS replacement & it all checked out.
What was the mileage when you purchased it used? Did they provide service records from the previous owner?