Independent Rear Suspension for Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the Ellsworth article, hmmm.

I would prefer a well-engineered, bulletproof IRS for the Raptor with a further developed Ecoboost TT V6,..., vs. an existing live rear axle platform (leaf or coil) with a GT500 motor. IRS can be built to have as much durability as needed for a Raptor.

Development costs, price points, targeted focus group feedback, etc., and so forth—of course come into play. Of course, the downside would be likely even more rear sag under towing—but Ford could keep the solid axle in standard F-150s for those who tow often.

For a halo truck, wouldn’t it be something to have an IRS Raptor.

No harm in pondering.

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/living/auto-reviews/on-the-road-review-ford-raptor-supercrew/

Last edited:

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That article's over a year old...I'm sure there are some newer articles from clickbait blogs about needing to compete with the rebel...

There is video of the gen3 Raptor test mule and anyone that listens to it (aka not deaf) can hear that it's an another ecoboost. Very likely the powerboost with more power than the regular f150.

edit wrong on 100% IRS see comment below

Last edited:

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like IRS is just too one dimensional, what makes the Raptor special now is it's versatility, from towing to high speed running (relatively) and jumping with little to no adjustments needed.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
IRS means that you can say goodbye to any realistic payload rating.

It means that you also need a pretty gucci rear swaybar setup if you want the 99% to not die in a firey wreck.

It means that you wont be able to rent a trailer, or tow a boat, or anything else that a normal "truck" can do.

Ever driven even a solid axle / 3 link desert truck? The amount of body roll is INSANE. if the rear swaybar lets go at speed, you're rolling that truck, no matter how good of a driver you think you are.

It is already gonna take ALOT to get a 4link + panhard to cycle smoothly without binding. It is gonna take the aftermarket quite a while to get any "upgrades" right.

With all of those drawbacks, you can see how right now is not the best time to try to make something like IRS work.

If you want IRS, buy a honda ridgeline.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the basically 5 link is strong and has 16” of travel great, but I bet every link is going to need replacement aftermarket and shocks so I’d rather keep leaf springs that actually work pretty well

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks cool and would be a blast to drive, however I don't know how this company can call it a Raptor, even if they throw the work "mini" in front of it. It is basically a Can Am with modified Raptor body parts thrown on top. It is still a side-by-side.

I was being sarcastic with that post. I'm sure they'll get in or are already in trouble with Ford.