Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Independent Rear Suspension for Raptor?

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by KAH24, Nov 29, 2020.

1. KAH24

KAH24 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

After reading the Ellsworth article, hmmm.

I would prefer a well-engineered, bulletproof IRS for the Raptor with a further developed Ecoboost TT V6,..., vs. an existing live rear axle platform (leaf or coil) with a GT500 motor. IRS can be built to have as much durability as needed for a Raptor.

Development costs, price points, targeted focus group feedback, etc., and so forth—of course come into play. Of course, the downside would be likely even more rear sag under towing—but Ford could keep the solid axle in standard F-150s for those who tow often.

For a halo truck, wouldn’t it be something to have an IRS Raptor.

No harm in pondering.

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/living/auto-reviews/on-the-road-review-ford-raptor-supercrew/

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Smunczen likes this.
  2. Peterb

Peterb Full Access Member

IRS probably not going to work on an off road truck that has loads of power

3. realjones88

realjones88 Full Access Member

That article's over a year old...I'm sure there are some newer articles from clickbait blogs about needing to compete with the rebel...

There is video of the gen3 Raptor test mule and anyone that listens to it (aka not deaf) can hear that it's an another ecoboost. Very likely the powerboost with more power than the regular f150.

edit wrong on 100% IRS see comment below

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  4. badm0t0rfinger

badm0t0rfinger Full Access Member

Its confirmed to have springs on solid axle in the back. Leafs are gone, but not the solid axle.

5. DFS

DFS Full Access Member

I feel like IRS is just too one dimensional, what makes the Raptor special now is it's versatility, from towing to high speed running (relatively) and jumping with little to no adjustments needed.

Jordan M likes this.
  6. Pacific Wheel

Pacific Wheel Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

isis, BenBB and badm0t0rfinger like this.
  7. zombiekiller

zombiekiller EXO Crewmember

IRS means that you can say goodbye to any realistic payload rating.

It means that you also need a pretty gucci rear swaybar setup if you want the 99% to not die in a firey wreck.

It means that you wont be able to rent a trailer, or tow a boat, or anything else that a normal "truck" can do.

Ever driven even a solid axle / 3 link desert truck? The amount of body roll is INSANE. if the rear swaybar lets go at speed, you're rolling that truck, no matter how good of a driver you think you are.

It is already gonna take ALOT to get a 4link + panhard to cycle smoothly without binding. It is gonna take the aftermarket quite a while to get any "upgrades" right.

With all of those drawbacks, you can see how right now is not the best time to try to make something like IRS work.

If you want IRS, buy a honda ridgeline.

Wtf3Rap19, Rednose, JefferyGT and 5 others like this.
  8. Peterb

Peterb Full Access Member

If the basically 5 link is strong and has 16” of travel great, but I bet every link is going to need replacement aftermarket and shocks so I’d rather keep leaf springs that actually work pretty well

9. Mike O

Mike O Full Access Member

Looks cool and would be a blast to drive, however I don't know how this company can call it a Raptor, even if they throw the work "mini" in front of it. It is basically a Can Am with modified Raptor body parts thrown on top. It is still a side-by-side.

10. Pacific Wheel

Pacific Wheel Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I was being sarcastic with that post. I'm sure they'll get in or are already in trouble with Ford.

Mike O likes this.