GEN 2 Inconsistent and choppy acceleration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the-waptah

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just joined so this is my first post here. I have tried searching for this issue on here but can't seem to get any answers for my particular situation.

I just purchased a 09/2018 raptor with 30k miles from a small Ford dealer and didn't really notice this on the test drive initially but the problem is when your acceleration and lightly keep your foot on the gas you notice a slight misfire sensation, it is also there at about 50% throttle and it feels like the truck is basically hiccuping as it's accelerating. I noticed it also get a little worse in sport mode and usually 5-6 gear. Here is what I have done so far to remedy the situation:

1. Ran 2 tanks of 93 octane with some chevron techron additive in the current tank.
2. Did a full tune up with spark plugs (SP-550), K&N air filter, oil change, replaced front and rear diff fluids and transfer case, checked trans fluid (looked ok, not dark).
3. Cleaned the 2 MAP sensors with CRC MAF cleaner.
4. Checked all piping for turbos and intercooler, even checked intercooler for water, none there.
5. Took it into Ford for diagnosis and they couldn't feel what I was describing (not surprising) and said they reset the adaptations and updated the PCM.

Some interesting things I noticed when I bought the truck was that the previous owner had a wiring harness installed running from the engine bay going back to the real tail lights and another wiring harness with a large plug installed onto the battery. I took both of these off and wondered what they were for, my guess is maybe he was towing it behind an RV. Also I noticed the screws on the transmission bell housing that bolt it to the motor have been touched before but Ford wont tell me any service history of it. Could towing it or whatever he was doing with it cause issues like this like maybe something in the transmission got damaged?

I am not sure what else to try, the problem is very annoying and keeping me from enjoying the truck completely, hopefully you guys other advice on what else to try.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question: Have you ever driven a turbo driven vehicle before? What are you used to driving? If you're adamant there is something wrong, I would take it to another dealer while it is under warranty still. Towing shouldn't hurt it as they can be set up for being towed if done right. Any warranty work done on the vehicle can and should be provided to you from any Ford dealer. Didn't you get a carfax report when you bought it?

OP
OP
the-waptah

the-waptah

Reaction score
Yes carfax was clean and only regular oil changes from another dealer. I have driven many vehicles before, turbo and non turbo and the hesitation is definitely not supposed to be there.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
user @03'Darin had a 2017 with what he reported was kind of like a hesitation when holding steady throttle up a hill. It had to be programmed out and IIRC was traced to “micro adjustments” of the throttle by wire.

I’d suggest you try suppressing traction control, retest. turn off stability control, retest. Turn off both traction control and stability control and retest.

Both of these ... “driver aids” ... are notoriously aggressive and they get more so as the stock tires wear.

Rule out the electronic nannies first.

I think I may have observed some of what @03’Darin reported, but not to the extent he made it out to be. If you get past the electronic aids and still have a misfire feeling, maybe try to repeat in manual mode so the transmission is not trying to intervene, that may reveal if the transmission shift strategy might be contributing, or maybe a hard part.

OP
OP
the-waptah

the-waptah

Reaction score
Thank you, i'll try that. The tires are slightly cupped on the back and the front right is more worn than front left. Do these trucks have the throttle relearn procedure where you slowly depress the gas pedal to reset?

OP
OP
the-waptah

the-waptah

Reaction score
Also, the manual mode does the jerking thing as well even if you keep it in the same gear on light to medium acceleration, especially uphill.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Make sure the oil it topped off. Mine did some funny stuff when it was new, I don't think it left the dealer full of oil.

coldvter

Reaction score
My 2018 does the same thing. It’s a seat of the pants sensation, the truck doesn’t physically buck or jerk, but you can feel it. I’m just wondering if it’s the electronics doing it’s thing. Usually when I feel it is when I’m on the pedal hard, and she’s pulling hard. My 2013 Focus ST and 2017 Explorer Sport do it also. I think it’s an Ecoboost thing.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What you guys are describing sounds like the issue that I chased for quite a while. Unfortunately it's "normal". As smurfslayer mentioned it's the truck making rapid micro adjustments to fuel, timing and spark in an effort to maximize power based on octane, air quality, air temps and so on.

This is also noticeable on the other F-150 motors but just not as prominent.

Our lead tech and I spent hours in my truck looking at countless different PIDS trying to find the problem. It comes down to shortcomings in the software that controls all of those functions. Back when I was dealing with the issue I was told by one of our field service engineers that Ford won't address the issue until the complaints surpass a certain percentage of the owner base.

I have only had 3 people besides myself that have complained about this symptom. Two Raptor owners and one F-150 owner. So or the average owner this either doesn't bother them or they don't care.