In Cab Tool Storage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whos got a good system for in-cab tool storage. I know there have to be a few that head out with more than just a tow strap and beer.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use the same plastic tool box (no rust stains from on the bottom) I've had in my truck since I was 16, loaded up with my "aint pretty enough for the toolbox" tools plus some large zipties, various sized hose clamps, C-clamps, a hacksaw, a hammer, some shop towels, and a pair of mechanic's gloves.

I've never actually needed it for a vehicle repair on the road yet in 30 years, but it comes in handy when you are inevitably somewhere that has a lack of tools and you need tools.

Not sure how many repairs you can realistically do on the road/trail by yourself anyways. I'm thinking removing a busted rear driveshaft to limp home on the front drive, hack sawing off a bent exhaust system, or basic shit like swapping out a battery is about as far as you can take it without having access to presses, pullers, floor jacks, etc. I guess it just depends on how desperate a situation you are in.

OP
OP
Clockton

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you secure the various bags and boxes in the cab so that they don't fly around? Unfortunately, it seems like I use my tools and want to move them from Husky box in the bed to the cab.

IMG_0006.jpeg

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have any areas to do real high speed off roading around here, so securing it in the cab has not been an issue for me. Mine fits tight under the rear seat and it's never moved since it sits on a rubber mat.

If I was worried about it, I'd either bolt the thing right through the floor of the cab and the toolbox itself, or install tie down hooks right through the floor of the cab and ratchet strap it down.

OP
OP
Clockton

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Drings on either side of the cab through the floor but the gas gets in the way for the middle part of the cab

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
some large zipties, various sized hose clamps, C-clamps, a hacksaw, a hammer, some shop towels, and a pair of mechanic's gloves.

add some duct tape and blacked out windows and you’ve got a full on kiddie abductor setup.

How do you secure the various bags and boxes in the cab so that they don't fly around?

one thing you could do is cut some closed cell foam like they use in gun cases. I have seen drone fliers use this stuff too. You’ll lose some overall capacity, but it should keep the tools from bouncing around as much.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
add some duct tape and blacked out windows and you’ve got a full on kiddie abductor setup.

You an expert on that or something?

BTW- Check on the dark windows, not quite limo tint... but, **** the duck (tape). I absolutely hate that shit with every fiber.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whos got a good system for in-cab tool storage. I know there have to be a few that head out with more than just a tow strap and beer.

For now, I have a tool roll with metric & standard Gearwrench set, pliers, crescents, 3/8" & 1/2" drive ratchets, same size breaker bars (short like 12"-18"), a hacksaw blade. Got three plastic socket holders from Harbor freight for both standard & metric sets of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" standard depth sockets; those three things fit in Gen1 little cubby under the driver's side rear seat where that funnel thing lives. Pretty snug.

Modded rear seats to fold down and driver's side holds a small canvas tool bag about half the size of a lunch box with a bag 'o 1/4" drive shit (ratchet, extensions, screwdriver, bits, etc.), screwdrivers, one of those half hacksaw handles, some deep impact sockets, my Gorilla key, safety wire & pliers, teflon tape, fusible tape, a pick set, a bag 'o allens, some big allen sockets, a magnet retriever thing and a few random things. Have a separate bag with a Slime 12V compressor and a bunch of plugs and plug tools. And a small case with a Li-Ion jumpstarter that I hogged out to hold a multimeter. Couple ratchet straps, a small tow strap (sketchy I need a better one and some shackles), spare serpentine belt, and a folding shovel. Roll of blue shop paper towels crammed in somewhere to take up the slack, all seems fairly secure back there. No big air but so far everything is hanging in there for now.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You an expert on that or something?

BTW- Check on the dark windows, not quite limo tint... but, **** the duck (tape). I absolutely hate that shit with every fiber.

c’mon. you own a prius, don’t you? :)

Gorilla tape is the bees knees. Great for holding on auto-body parts that are just hanging, covering bullet holes in the windshield (don’t ask), and a host of other stuff. Also, if your friends have jeeps or Harleys, Gorilla Tape becomes that much more important.