Improve throttle response?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score

85mm throttle bore
Fits 2010-2014 Ford F- Series Truck 6.2L - Ford Raptor, Ford F250 6.2L, XLT, Lariat, FX2, FX4 and Platinum edition
This BBK 85mm F-150 throttle body will deliver more horsepower and works with both OEM air intakes and aftermarket cold air intakes

Question: How can an 85mm TB be compatible with factory and aftermarket intake components designed for the factory 60mm TB?

Maybe because the factory TB is 80mm!!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score

85mm throttle bore
Fits 2010-2014 Ford F- Series Truck 6.2L - Ford Raptor, Ford F250 6.2L, XLT, Lariat, FX2, FX4 and Platinum edition
This BBK 85mm F-150 throttle body will deliver more horsepower and works with both OEM air intakes and aftermarket cold air intakes

Question: How can an 85mm TB be compatible with factory and aftermarket intake components designed for the factory 60mm TB?
I did say I believe that it is 60mm, I did a quick search and cannot confirm the exact size, I'm seeing 73mm and 80mm for stock 6.2L.
Maybe someone else can find the specs.

The BBK upgrade is 85mm, so I was completely wrong, sorry.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 90mm GT350 TB that I want to try on the Raptor, need an adapter plate and more research.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem I have seen with upgrading the TB on a stock NA 6.2L is Ford already maxed out the TB size with the 80mm, the engine can only pump so much air.
Putting a larger one on does nothing without internally upgrading the engine with a bigger cam or increasing the C.I.D. or supercharging.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem I have seen with upgrading the TB on a stock NA 6.2L is Ford already maxed out the TB size with the 80mm, the engine can only pump so much air.
Putting a larger one on does nothing without internally upgrading the engine with a bigger cam or increasing the C.I.D. or supercharging.
You're quire right, sir. The danger with increased volumetric capacity in both the intake and exhaust tracts is that the intake and exhaust airflows can stall at low throttle openings and when the throttle is closed abruptly. That stalled air is as bad for engine performance as stalled air is over an airplane's wing. If throttle response is the goal, then stalled air is your enemy.

akley88

Reaction score
I have a 90mm GT350 TB that I want to try on the Raptor, need an adapter plate and more research.
unless its been ported it should be 87mm. as far as adapter blowfish racing adapter will allow a stock gt350 tb to mount to a 6.2 intake manifold, atleast on my 250. i was going to use one of these in conjunction with other mods. the tb and adapter are sitting on my garage shelf. i have also read that tuning for this throttle body can be a pain on the 5.0 depending on the year.