Impact Sound Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
The wife and made a trip yesterday to look at a 2016 Raptor for sale a friend told me about. Cruising down the highway running 75 mph and out of nowhere what I would describe as a impact sound. I was sure it came from the engine compartment but she thought it was from front from a bird. Here comes the weird part all gauges showing normal but lost lane departure and cruise control. Full inspection of front and under truck plus under the hood nothing found. Regained cruise and lane departure about 30 minutes later. No Halloween joke here but this was after running the windshield wiper to clean some dirt off. Will run by dealer to check for any codes since I’m headed to the beach for 3 days of surf fishing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no 2016 Raptor....

What did the messages in the Instrument Cluster say? “Adaptive Cruise not available”, “Lane Keep Assist Fault”, etc?

OP
OP
Ted Schroeder

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
There is no 2016 Raptor....

What did the messages in the Instrument Cluster say? “Adaptive Cruise not available”, “Lane Keep Assist Fault”, etc?

Thanks for the correction on the 2016. I passed on buying it had a rust on frame and a mildew smell.

‘The cruise just would not engage and the distance for space bars between cars was dimly lit. The sound was so loud it is my biggest concern of what caused it. I don’t think this has anything to do with it but was towing my camper in tow mode a month ago made a sharp turn and a sound of like when missing Gears in a straight drive. Thanks for the reply I was hoping you would chime in on my post.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction on the 2016. I passed on buying it had a rust on frame and a mildew smell.

‘The cruise just would not engage and the distance for space bars between cars was dimly lit. The sound was so loud it is my biggest concern of what caused it. I don’t think this has anything to do with it but was towing my camper in tow mode a month ago made a sharp turn and a sound of like when missing Gears in a straight drive. Thanks for the reply I was hoping you would chime in on my post.

Strange that it stopped functioning without any warning messages. If the system detects a fault, or if the camera can't see the road (dirt, debris, etc) it will provide an alert in the Instrument Cluster message center. Let us know what the dealer comes up with.

OP
OP
Ted Schroeder

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
Strange that it stopped functioning without any warning messages. If the system detects a fault, or if the camera can't see the road (dirt, debris, etc) it will provide an alert in the Instrument Cluster message center. Let us know what the dealer comes up with.

I will post what the dealer finds. Might be awhile they are short handed right now.

OP
OP
Ted Schroeder

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
So what year is the Raptor or is it a 2016 Prius?

Good question had the original motor before changing to new power plant. Had enough rust and funky smell that I believe it was submerged in salt water from a storm down south.

OP
OP
Ted Schroeder

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
Dealer found no codes but suspects the noise was from the 4 wheel drive trying to engage due to a problem in vacuum. Asked how to confirm this and his reply was no way until I have more consistent problems.