Ignition coil replacement problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the good news is, I got all 8 coils disconnected and unbolted, just the 2nd bolt from the drivers front was rusted in place a bit, so will be putting a little dab of never seize on these before I put them back on. Now I can finish detailing the engine and get started on changing the plugs.
View attachment 323104
Same thing with my bolts but it was the number 6 cylinder. Glad you were successful!

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same thing with my bolts but it was the number 6 cylinder. Glad you were successful!
Me too, that one rusted one was tight until it came off, the rest of them, once you broke them loose, they would come off with just your fingers.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the good news is, I got all 8 coils disconnected and unbolted, just the 2nd bolt from the drivers front was rusted in place a bit, so will be putting a little dab of never seize on these before I put them back on. Now I can finish detailing the engine and get started on changing the plugs.
View attachment 323104
Why is that one so rusted?

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is that one so rusted?
That's what I would like to know as well. Another member mentioned he had the same problem with one of his as well. Could be an area on the intake where water pools a bit. I will look into it more when I clean the intake tonight.

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I took a close look at the “nuts” on the intake for the coils, the first pic is a normal clean one and the 2nd pic is the rusted one, and I have no idea why. I put wd40 on it for overnight and will put neverseize on the bolt when I install that new coil.F7AC63A3-3BB6-486F-B37D-9B72588F1421.jpeg26786AFD-C8B9-4AA5-A483-86889BB91C6E.jpeg

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Best way and easiest to unplug coil , I found slide red tab up use a right angle pic to lift tab from front. Watch video click link. Easy peasy

Watch "How to unclip the coil on 2011 f150 5.0 plugs" on YouTube

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-060259_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-060259_YouTube.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Best way and easiest to unplug coil , I found slide red tab up use a right angle pic to lift tab from front. Watch video click link. Easy peasy

Watch "How to unclip the coil on 2011 f150 5.0 plugs" on YouTube
That would save a lot of hassle on the rear 2 if the pick can get back in there.

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Subbed for updates on how plug removal goes :D

I went with just plugs, wires and boots for the coils, not all new coils, waiting for it all to come in.
The top plugs are relatively very easy and are all done, I'm currently working on the passenger side ones and looks like the very front one will be a tight fit with the shock bucket in the way and I have the inner fenders off too. Will post pics later of this. FYI, another member mentioned using two 5/8's sockets, one with the rubber insert and one without, I've been following this procedure, use the rubber insert for removal of the plugs, but I just use the rubber insert socket to start the new plug and then switch to a regular long socket for tightening the spark plugs, works like a charm as the spark plug holes are very deep and you don't want the socket getting stuck in there and have to loosen your new plug to retrieve.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The top plugs are relatively very easy and are all done, I'm currently working on the passenger side ones and looks like the very front one will be a tight fit with the shock bucket in the way and I have the inner fenders off too. Will post pics later of this. FYI, another member mentioned using two 5/8's sockets, one with the rubber insert and one without, I've been following this procedure, use the rubber insert for removal of the plugs, but I just use the rubber insert socket to start the new plug and then switch to a regular long socket for tightening the spark plugs, works like a charm as the spark plug holes are very deep and you don't want the socket getting stuck in there and have to loosen your new plug to retrieve.
Your going to say all your favorite Cuss words on the front plug passenger side, behind spring bucket . I do that one first so rest are easy after that.