Ignition coil replacement problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I’m trying to replace my ignition coils, the first one I pulled the red tab back and pressed down and it came off like butter, the 2nd one I got the tab back but the clip won’t press down and release the wires, the 3rd one I pushed on the red clip and it went flying to no mans land (fuuuuuuck yoooooouuuu) and the wire end still won’t come off. I said that’s a sign to stop. What am I doing wrong here? I’m not completely useless, but…..
666555D0-AC44-4120-A9E9-C453D373FC5C.jpeg8AE986D8-5BC1-4AA8-BEFC-A63370D476D7.jpeg

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insert bad canuck joke here.....

Was is cracked or heat got to it over the years? I've had those things crack and fly off on my old F150's. Gotta grab some pliers and go to town

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Insert bad canuck joke here.....

Was is cracked or heat got to it over the years? I've had those things crack and fly off on my old F150's. Gotta grab some pliers and go to town
I'm thinking they are old and brittle, IDK, will try again tomorrow, just thought there might be a specific way of doing them. I looked online and the videos said to just pry the red tab back with a screwdriver and then press down and release. The front 2 at the front of the engine come off like so easy. Maybe i should spray them with wd40?? Where's all the master techs on here??? LOL. Come out, come out, wherever you are!!

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate those "press and release" tabs. They never work right.....press and !POW! All over the place. And broken.

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate those "press and release" tabs. They never work right.....press and !POW! All over the place. And broken.
The ones for the injectors all work flawlessly and they are closer to the engine, these coil things are puckering my ****, ha ha.

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update, went back at it and got those other two off, pressed the tab down with a screwdriver and they released, don't know why they are so stuck the further back in the engine. Found the red clip sitting on the intake in a crevice, used some tape on a flat screwdriver to stick to it and retrieve it. Things are looking up :favorites37:

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those broke on my 2015. I also had the nut which is in the plastic cover which holds the coil tight spin out. Went 30k miles and once or twice a year I would pop the cover off and check if anything was loose and they never unseated.

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those broke on my 2015. I also had the nut which is in the plastic cover which holds the coil tight spin out. Went 30k miles and once or twice a year I would pop the cover off and check if anything was loose and they never unseated.
I guess I will pray mine don’t spin when I take them off, will do that in the morning.