Ignition Coil or Spark Plug? 1st Gen 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Popejoy

Reaction score
2013 SVT 1st Gen Raptor. I have a little bit of an odd situation. I cannot find anyone here on the forum running into this but I have a clicking sound near the spark plugs and ignition coils and I’m not very savvy with these types of maintenance repairs. The clicking is giving a tiny spark each time if that helps narrow it down for anyone to give feedback. I have a video for reference too. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_8947.MOV
    9.3 MB

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you pull that coil off and look at the boot on the bottom of it, you will probably find corrosion, you can get those replacement parts (boot, spring, etc) or just buy a new coil or swap with another one and see if the problem moves with that coil. You can get all new coils complete with boots, etc from rockauto, 4 lefts, 4 rights as they are diferent fyi.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wire/boot letting spark travel to it's easiest ground.
Replace that plug wire to keep it from doing it now.
But as mentioned, replacing plugs, coils, and wires would be best.
If one is failing, rest are in close to same condition.
A little work and expense, but it will be set for a while that way rather than waiting for next piece to drop out.

OP
OP
Sean Popejoy

Sean Popejoy

Reaction score
Update, i ordered all the parts and waiting to replace it all. I had to recently replace the water pump and it sprayed coolant all over the engine the other week and that’s when that clicking started. Yesterday the clicking wasn’t there at all so i wonder if it was just wet around that area and finally dries off.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update, i ordered all the parts and waiting to replace it all. I had to recently replace the water pump and it sprayed coolant all over the engine the other week and that’s when that clicking started. Yesterday the clicking wasn’t there at all so i wonder if it was just wet around that area and finally dries off.
If it starts clicking because it gets a little wet, thats a good sign to replace it all. Look up "do it yourself 6.2 spark plug change" in the search top right, it will help you with how to get that stubborn plug changed on the right side hidden behind the shock tower. A lot of us have done this, so its not hard, just time consuming trying to find the right extensions and swivels, lol. Post some more pics when you get the parts in, good luck!