IGN coil fault codes - no start 2011 screw w/ 190k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Rosson

Reaction score
Have P0351-8 : 00C6 and or 00=68 fault ignition coil primary control circuit/open (every cylinder except 3)
On 3 I have P0353:0068 ignition coil C primary/Secondary circuit

Truck may start and run very rough for a few seconds every 10 - 20 attempts

Is this a pcm failure. I’m at a loss here. Hoping someone has some insight for me

Turned up search with single cyl faults. But not all cylinders???

Any help greatly appreciated

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the 2014 service manual:

P0351 - Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit

Description: This DTC sets when the PCM does not receive a valid ignition diagnostic monitor (IDM) pulse signal from the ignition module PCM.
Possible Causes:
  • VPWR circuit open
  • VPWR circuit short to ground
  • COP1 circuit open (COP)
  • CDA circuit open (coil pack)
  • COP1 circuit short to voltage (COP)
  • CDA circuit short to voltage (coil pack)
  • COP1 circuit short to ground (COP)
  • CDA circuit short to ground (coil pack)
  • Damaged COP (if equipped)
  • Damaged coil pack (if equipped)
Diagnostic Aids: The DTC P0351 only sets for a coil primary circuit failure. A secondary ignition coil or spark plug failure does not set the DTC P0351. The DTC P0301 does not set for a coil primary circuit malfunction. The DTC P0351 may set with or without the DTC P0301, however the DTC P0351 sets first.

When this DTC is set, the PCM enters failure mode effects management (FMEM) which shuts down the injector for the associated cylinder in order to protect the catalytic converter. This is normal operation, do not attempt to diagnose the injector with this DTC present.

If a primary coil is damaged due to a harness short to ground the PCM will not be damaged. Do not replace the PCM without verifying the coil driver functionality.

Use the 12-volt non-powered test lamp to verify VPWR voltage at the ignition coil harness connector.

Check the coil driver circuit for open, short to voltage, or short to ground.

P0353 - Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit

Description: This DTC sets when the PCM does not receive a valid ignition diagnostic monitor (IDM) pulse signal from the ignition module PCM.
Possible Causes:
  • VPWR circuit open
  • VPWR circuit short to ground
  • COP3 circuit open
  • COP3 circuit short to voltage
  • COP3 circuit short to ground
  • Damaged COP
Diagnostic Aids: The DTC P0353 only sets for a coil primary circuit failure. A secondary ignition coil or spark plug failure does not set the DTC P0353. The DTC P0303 does not set for a coil primary circuit malfunction. The DTC P0353 may set with or without the DTC P0303, however the DTC P0353 sets first.

When this DTC is set, the PCM enters failure mode effects management (FMEM) which shuts down the injector for the associated cylinder in order to protect the catalytic converter. This is normal operation, do not attempt to diagnose the injector with this DTC present.

If a primary coil is damaged due to a harness short to ground the PCM will not be damaged. Do not replace the PCM without verifying the coil driver functionality.

Use the 12-volt non-powered test lamp to verify VPWR voltage at the ignition coil harness connector.

Check the coil driver circuit for open, short to voltage, or short to ground.

OP
OP
J

J Rosson

Reaction score
I've been out of the country on and off for aver a month now. Thanks for the suggestions above. I still cannot find a reason for this no start. Wire and plugs all look good. No corrosion or bent broken pins that I can see.
I did the fuel pump fuse about 4 months ago, everything worked great. Can anyone tell me if the PCM has the intelligence to cut ignition to the coils if no fuel pressure is detected. If that is a possibility, It could be the pump, or the pump drive module. Just trying to narrow the scope.
I'm definitely a shade tree mechanic, but I just can't understand why I would show faults on every coil at once.
My other thought is a failed PCM.
Other than that, I'm gonna have to tow this to a shop and let them sort it out.

Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.
I will post the solution when I find it.

Justin

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried jumping or throwing a battery charger on?
Anything below 13.7 volts will present some small issues, can't hurt.
But a load test would confirm if the battery is bad even if it shows good voltage.

You can also try a battery disconnect for 20 minutes.
You can check the connections down by the starter make sure none of the wires are loose.
Wire harness running along the drivers side frame rail could be damaged right by the front tire, can't hurt to check that.
Other than these, it's a tough call.
You just might have to tow it to the dealer.

Last edited: