If Ford doesn't create a V8 for the next Gen Raptor, then......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nobody "settled" for an EcoBoost...it outguns the 6.2 in every regard and still gets better fuel economy. Those are facts, not opinions.

Wasn't your complaint about "sound"? An EV has no sound except for electric motor whine, which is annoying at best.
No, I just never liked 6 cylinders. Well, unless it's the Honda Gold Wing.
And just to be clear when both are boosted, 6.2L wins. Sorry
I'm still hoping someone will put a 10 speed tranny behind a NA 6.2L
I'm sure it would give the EB a race.

Last edited:

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next gen will have a V8. At least that is the current plan. The internal code name for the engine is pretty cool.

I'm guessing it will be an upcharge option. What makes the most sense to me is keep the 3.5EB around to keep a Rebel competitor and offer the V8 to be a Trex competitor.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The next gen will have a V8. At least that is the current plan. The internal code name for the engine is pretty cool.

You actually know this or are just very confident in your opinion?

I'm guessing it will be an upcharge option. What makes the most sense to me is keep the 3.5EB around to keep a Rebel competitor and offer the V8 to be a Trex competitor.

Lol, I don't think Ford is worried about competing with the Rebel. And since the F150 will have a power boost option, it seems very likely the Raptor will have that as well. I don't think Ford wants customers selecting a Lariat over a Raptor because the Lariat has more power.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol, I don't think Ford is worried about competing with the Rebel. And since the F150 will have a power boost option, it seems very likely the Raptor will have that as well. I don't think Ford wants customers selecting a Lariat over a Raptor because the Lariat has more power.
I don't think Ford cares if the raptor has the most power or not, if they did, they would not offer the same engine in its other trim levels. Ford cares about marketability and sales. If Ford offers a V8, it's going to be expensive, I'm hoping for a hybrid option for the extended fuel range.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, I just never liked 6 cylinders. Well, unless it's the Honda Gold Wing.
And just to be clear when both are boosted, 6.2L wins. Sorry
I'm still hoping someone will put a 10 speed tranny behind a NA 6.2L.
I'm sure it would give the EB a race.

Your personal preference of cylinder count has nothing to do with it. The 3.5 HO outperforms the 6.2 in every category. Nobody is “settling” for the more powerful, more efficient engine.

Comparing a stock engine to a modded one is a ridiculous argument; it’s all speculation and “what if’s”. As far as a 10R behind a 6.2, the 3.5 HO would still wipe the floor with it. The 3.5 HO has 40HP more, almost 80 lb-ft more torque, weighs 160 lbs less, and has a much wider powerband. You can’t argue with physics.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your right can't argue physics, you would need a Tune at least on the NA 6.2L to make it fair.
Max HP and Torque for the HO 3.5L is but a blip on the Dyno chart, where as the HO 6.2L torque almost through the entire powerband and the HP doesn't drop dramatically.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your right can't argue physics, you would need a Tune at least on the NA 6.2L to make it fair.
Max HP and Torque for the HO 3.5L is but a blip on the Dyno chart, where as the HO 6.2L torque almost through the entire powerband.

Fair? Stock for stock is the only objective comparison; arguing mods is a wild card and is not a valid way to compare 2 powertrains.

What is a 6.2 HO? Ford never made such an engine. The 6.2 debuted in the 2010 Raptor with 411HP; it never received an HO variant. The Super Duty received a de-tuned version with 385HP.

Where is this “blip” you refer to? The 3.5’s power and torque curves outperform the 6.2 from 2k RPM to redline...

upload_2020-11-4_12-56-40.jpeg

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your personal preference of cylinder count has nothing to do with it. The 3.5 HO outperforms the 6.2 in every category. Nobody is “settling” for the more powerful, more efficient engine.

Comparing a stock engine to a modded one is a ridiculous argument; it’s all speculation and “what if’s”. As far as a 10R behind a 6.2, the 3.5 HO would still wipe the floor with it. The 3.5 HO has 40HP more, almost 80 lb-ft more torque, weighs 160 lbs less, and has a much wider powerband. You can’t argue with physics.
Fair? Stock for stock is the only objective comparison; arguing mods is a wild card and is not a valid way to compare 2 powertrains.

What is a 6.2 HO? Ford never made such an engine. The 6.2 debuted in the 2010 Raptor with 411HP; it never received an HO variant. The Super Duty received a de-tuned version with 385HP.

Where is this “blip” you refer to? The 3.5’s power and torque curves outperform the 6.2 from 2k RPM to redline...

View attachment 155358
stock or not trying to compare a NA motor against a FI motor is apples to oranges all day long.