GEN 1 Idle Speed Wobble/Rough Shift 1st to 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked around but didn’t find anything on this, let me know if I missed it.

When at idle speed, the shift from 1st to 2nd seems a little...rough I guess you would say. There’s a good jolt when it occurs.

It usually happens while cruising a parking lot to leave for me.

Also, it seems as though the engine is off balance when it does this - no expert here so be easy!

This usually happens when I am coming to a stop or starting from a stop. Happens sometimes on a cold start too.

Could this be a timing issue, a valve isn’t firing, something that new plugs could fix, or should I be thinking elsewhere?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2010 Raptor does it as well as my 14 ecoboost Tremor does it. Hard 1 to 2 shift when hardly moving i say around 5-10 mph is pretty violent. I don't have any Idle issues

Last edited:
OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 Raptor does it as well as my 14 ecoboost Tremor does it. Hard shift when hardly moving i say around 5-10 mph is pretty violent. I don't have any Idle issues

Good to know, thanks for responding.

It seems, for me, to be an issue when traveling at idle through lots and stop signs.

After nearly 100k, the used 2014 I picked up is due for plugs, fluid flushes, and myriad other things; just wanted to see if anyone else has had these issues, and if they may be transmission related.

omoplata

Reaction score
Might check the recall on F150's for the unintended downshift to 1st gear. This could be related.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might check the recall on F150's for the unintended downshift to 1st gear. This could be related.

Funny you should mention this. My 2013 was recently serviced for the “possible transmission downshift” recall and now I seem to notice this low speed hard shift from 1st to 2nd more than I ever have. I almost disregarded the recall initially because the thing operated beautifully and I’m a firm believer that something shouldn’t be fixed if its not broken. Running a potential 6th to 1st downshift scenario through my head a few times made me relent. The truck shifts well now, generally, but that low speed hard shift is most noticeable. Mostly when the truck is cold. Since others report it as well I’m not gonna worry too much at this juncture.

omoplata

Reaction score
Funny you should mention this. My 2013 was recently serviced for the “possible transmission downshift” recall and now I seem to notice this low speed hard shift from 1st to 2nd more than I ever have. I almost disregarded the recall initially because the thing operated beautifully and I’m a firm believer that something shouldn’t be fixed if its not broken. Running a potential 6th to 1st downshift scenario through my head a few times made me relent. The truck shifts well now, generally, but that low speed hard shift is most noticeable. Mostly when the truck is cold. Since others report it as well I’m not gonna worry too much at this juncture.
I have 122,000 miles on my Gen1 and the transmission has been trouble free, so I didn't have it done. I'm with you, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My 2013 with 94k mikes also has the hard shift 1st to 2nd gear in parking lots etc. It’s a small jolt. I’ve ignored the recall letter so far too.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 with 94k mikes also has the hard shift 1st to 2nd gear in parking lots etc. It’s a small jolt. I’ve ignored the recall letter so far too.

As a new/used owner I wasn’t aware of this recall.

Is this recall something that can be applied if you aren’t the original purchaser?

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m hearing from some of you out there who have not had the transmission recall service performed that slow speed hard shifts are present with you as well. This makes me feel better about having the service done if it’s a universal symptom. I’m not sure that it even indicates anything is wrong because the truck shifts smoothly aside from that. I will repeat the scenario that went through my mind. Even though the chances are probably low, would I want to drive a cool ass truck around knowing that there was even a remote chance the thing would downshift from 6th to 1st on the freeway one day? I was told it was a software adjustment so no real wrenching had to be done on the tranny. Yes I said if it ain’t broke don’t fix it but I made an exception in this case.

FYI MFNG: I’m not positive but I would think a safety recall like this would be covered for any owner.