GEN 2 Idle/rolling shudder, like the tire is out of round.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted2000Si

Reaction score
I have this weird vibration / shudder type jerking going on when I slowly let off the brakes to accelerate. Its like the truck hops up and down like it is on some old school knobby mud tires. Sometimes its very bad and sometimes it doesnt even do it but I found if I slowly let off the brake I can make it happen everytime but if I just side step off the brake it wont do it as often.

I guess the best way to describe it is maybe a hot rod with a huge cam, and the truck moves with the lope.

When the truck is on a cold start and go to drive down the road, when it goes to shift from 1st to 3rd or whatever gear it wants it will pause where you almost jerk forward then pick back up. Only when the truck is cold start and inly does it once and its goes away.

I slowing down coming to a stop, twice in the last 2k miles, it absolutely slams into 1st gear. The first time was so bad I swore I was rear ended but I was the only one on the road. I have done 2 600 mile tound trip drives since and it seems fine on the highway.

The truck just feels off. It is sluggish at WOT like its pinging, shifting seems sloppy, the lope in idle and the slamming of the gears. Im kind of frustrated as I took the truck to the dealer for the sluggishness and they said nothing was wrong with it. Ive had it at 2 dealers and starting to become a pain in the ***.

No cam phaser noise at all.

Are any of these known issues? I try to search google and never get anywhere.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have this weird vibration / shudder type jerking going on when I slowly let off the brakes to accelerate. Its like the truck hops up and down like it is on some old school knobby mud tires. Sometimes its very bad and sometimes it doesnt even do it but I found if I slowly let off the brake I can make it happen everytime but if I just side step off the brake it wont do it as often.

I guess the best way to describe it is maybe a hot rod with a huge cam, and the truck moves with the lope.

Any mods? You buy it new?

When the truck is on a cold start and go to drive down the road, when it goes to shift from 1st to 3rd or whatever gear it wants it will pause where you almost jerk forward then pick back up. Only when the truck is cold start and inly does it once and its goes away.

Normal transmission strategy on the 3-4 shift after cold start.

I slowing down coming to a stop, twice in the last 2k miles, it absolutely slams into 1st gear. The first time was so bad I swore I was rear ended but I was the only one on the road. I have done 2 600 mile tound trip drives since and it seems fine on the highway.

This will occur if you slow down quickly to a stop. As you slow down, the transmission downshifts through multiple ratios to match the speed decrease, eventually ending up in 1st gear at a stop. When you increase the rate of deceleration abruptly, the transmission needs to shift to 1st gear immediately to prepare for acceleration.

The truck just feels off. It is sluggish at WOT like its pinging, shifting seems sloppy, the lope in idle and the slamming of the gears. Im kind of frustrated as I took the truck to the dealer for the sluggishness and they said nothing was wrong with it. Ive had it at 2 dealers and starting to become a pain in the ***.

No cam phaser noise at all.

Are any of these known issues? I try to search google and never get anywhere.

What fuel octane are you running? How many miles on the truck?

OP
OP
Boosted2000Si

Boosted2000Si

Reaction score
No mods

Bought the truck Used, 42k miles. Has 49k on it now, 2018

I run 93

The issue with the downshifting is its delayed. I do not stop abruptly and will be a few seconds after I already stopped before it slams into 1st gear and makes a loud metal on metal clunk.

My biggest concern is the pulsating when slowly accelerating/taking my foot off the brake. That has been brought up my passengers ask "What in the world is that?" I am like "Oh its just my truck doing its own truck things"

Overall though I am not happy with the combination of these concerns. My 2015 3.5 with the 6spd didnt drive like this. Dealers around here are not the most helpful. I had the truck at the local dealer where it sat for 2 weeks without even being started.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No mods

Bought the truck Used, 42k miles. Has 49k on it now, 2018

I run 93

The issue with the downshifting is its delayed. I do not stop abruptly and will be a few seconds after I already stopped before it slams into 1st gear and makes a loud metal on metal clunk.

My biggest concern is the pulsating when slowly accelerating/taking my foot off the brake. That has been brought up my passengers ask "What in the world is that?" I am like "Oh its just my truck doing its own truck things"

Overall though I am not happy with the combination of these concerns. My 2015 3.5 with the 6spd didnt drive like this. Dealers around here are not the most helpful. I had the truck at the local dealer where it sat for 2 weeks without even being started.

Anytime you buy a used vehicle you’re taking a risk; who knows how it was treated for the first 42k miles of it’s life. It’s also possible that the previous owner(s) tuned it, which will cause the spark plugs to wear much faster. Do you have a copy of the carfax showing maintenance intervals and no records of damage?

There was a transmission calibration update for some 2018 models, what is the build date?

OP
OP
Boosted2000Si

Boosted2000Si

Reaction score
Carfax shows most of the maintenance, it was all done by a Ford dealer.

Build Date was November 2017, IIRC. It was purchased new A few days after Christmas 2017

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Carfax shows most of the maintenance, it was all done by a Ford dealer.

Build Date was November 2017, IIRC. It was purchased new A few days after Christmas 2017

The build date cutoff was 5/15/18, so your truck is included in the TSB for the new software. If you have the 21B10 recall done you’ll automatically get the revised software from the TSB.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it feel like motor is bogged down.... Like it is in the wrong gear? So has a shudder. Does it do it when in Sport mode?

Sounds like transmission issues.