Identify this startup noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ran by the dealership while I was out and showed both videos to my Service Advisor and he said based on the videos and without actually hearing it in person, it sounded like normal injector noise on a cold startup.

@FordTechOne what do you think of that assessment?

Sounds right to me, I don’t hear anything abnormal in the video. The reason the noise changes is due to the Direct/Port fuel injection system that is used on these engines. The engine will typically start using the port fuel injection system, but the high pressure pump is always running and building pressure so you will hear it as a chirp/click/clatter sound. When the PCM switches to direct injection either during a cold start self test or during normal operation, you will hear the direct injectors firing and the noise of the pump will vary due to the change in system pressure and operation.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds right to me, I don’t hear anything abnormal in the video. The reason the noise changes is due to the Direct/Port fuel injection system that is used on these engines. The engine will typically start using the port fuel injection system, but the high pressure pump is always running and building pressure so you will hear it as a chirp/click/clatter sound. When the PCM switches to direct injection either during a cold start self test or during normal operation, you will hear the direct injectors firing and the noise of the pump will vary due to the change in system pressure and operation.
Thanks, always appreciate your insight.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All modern engines are noisy during a cold start, especially direct injected turbocharged engines. The PCM is running through self tests, the lash adjusters are pumping up, the turbocharger wastegates are cycling, the high pressure fuel pump pump is building pressure, ignition timing is tailored to catalyst light off, etc. All of these sounds will be amplified in a closed structure like a garage. Properly functioning wastegate linkages are tight enough that you won’t feel lash unless there is an issue, but the tolerance stack up will still be heard of a cold start. What year is the truck?

Hi I'm guess your a Ford tech...lol. should I install a catch can on my 2019 Raptor ? Some say yes, and others say no, that if it were needed ford would of installed one..
Thanks
Mike L.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi I'm guess your a Ford tech...lol. should I install a catch can on my 2019 Raptor ? Some say yes, and others say no, that if it were needed ford would of installed one..
Thanks
Mike L.

I don’t find a catch can to be necessary unless you’re using the vehicle under severe conditions such as competition/racing.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t find a catch can to be necessary unless you’re using the vehicle under severe conditions such as competition/racing.

Thanks brother..
I was real indecisive. Especially with warranty issues in the future. I like to keep mine stock, although I would like to add fog lights.