Ideas for video cameras - help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike McNellis

Ford Rep
Reaction score
If one wanted to mount a video camera inside or outside of the truck to shoot videos of cool offroad drives, what would you recommend? I'd live to have audio for reactions and conversation inside the truck, but optimal video for the drive. What type of equipment is neccessary, what does it cost, is it hard to install (and any other info you may have). Thanks!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many here use the GoPro Hero HD and mount them on the dash looking through the windshield. If you do this you could pickup audio inside the Raptor.

Sounds like a good idea for Ford Raptor promo videos :thumbsup:

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, I use the Contour HD model with windshield mount kit and MarkT uses the GoPro unit. Take a look at my Hidden Valley video and the Vegas to Primm to Henderson video and you will see video from both units. The HD functions are comparable as I cannot tell any difference in the two. The GoPro unit uses a 135 degree picture as my contour shoots 115 degrees, I like the wider angle of the GOPro. Having said that, the mounts on the contour seem to be much easier to work with and tighten down. I bought the unit and accessories from Amazon. The audio is just okay. Either way get the 12v charger so the batteries are not an issue and use the largest SD card that you can. Good luck and I am looking forward to the roundup again!!!!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well a lot of people use window mounts. I can't recall who but someone also made a camera mount that attached to the trailer hitch and it would reach around the side of the truck for some cool side action shots.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vids I posted up of this weekends runs to Death Valley were taken on a Drift HD170. The audio sucks - I just turn it off and overlay music.

OP
OP
Mike McNellis

Mike McNellis

Ford Rep
Reaction score
You guys are awesome and fast. Thanks for the replies.

We agree that they would make awesome promo videos. Now I just need to find some budget.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mike, maybe you don't need to find some budget money. As you can see, plenty of Raptor owners have these cameras and I'm sure they'd be very happy to help you with your video production needs. :thumbsup:

Just ask - I'm sure they'll be glad to help you out.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to note, AFAIK, the only one of these cameras that has an LCD for framing the shot is the Drift (that's why I got it). Each offers advantages/disadvangates over the other. I was coin flipping between the Drift and the GoPro but came down on the side of the Drift.

I mounted it with a PanaVise #809 suction mount.