GEN 1 ICON RXT LEAFS OR STOCK LEAFS + TRACTION BAR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to rebuild the rear end with some new leafs.

Use potential: 85% street + 15% wishful offroading

So I looked into a set of ICON RXT's PART #198501 with hardware kit #95220H. This bundle will roughly run me about $1800-2000 CAD at this time. Not including install or replacement shackles and hardware, so another $200 or so. As I understand stock shackles will work just fine.

I can get new OEM leafs with shackles, bushings and hardware for about $1200CAD
An RPG traction bar is $1500US plus border fees for me so Im looking at about $2300CAD. I like RPG as they are bolt on, and not welded.

Im looking to replace as much old stuff as possible as they are rusty. Budget is always a concern, but I will spend if its worth it. Was just thinking if stock leafs+traction bar is a good option, or just go for the gold and get the ICONS + traction bar.

I guess the only caveat I cannot answer is if I will be loading the bed with a topper, a bed slide or any consistent amount of weight. If I were planning that then Im guessing the ICONS would be best.

After reading about the ICONS some more, I see there are issues with contact to the OEM exhaust, possible required upgraded bump stops, or longer brake lines needed.

Ultimate goal is to make a great daily while restoring what I can in the process. Im in Canada, so its not like theres desert runs for me to do on the regular. Of course during my annual pilgrimage to Vegas I will hire @John M and VRAT can show me the sights!

Im rambling now, but any input is appreciated.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Couple things to consider. The ride quality even for daily use on the Icon or Deaver springs is night and day better than stock. The Icon will allow you to add or subtract a leaf for carrying weight.
We do run offroad a lot (I have Deaver, my running buddy has Icon) and the Icon set up with the extra leaf was a tad tall and pretty firm unloaded, but was great with bedcage, dual spares and all our gear when we pre-ran for the Baja 1000. (probably 7-800 lbs)
Daily I would prefer it out and on the softer set, but if you think you will have a camper or a bed storage system then you may want it in.
Keep in mind the Raptor was never designed with load carrying ability. You cant have flex and droop designed into the rear leaf pack and still have it stiff for towing or hauling weight.
As for the RPG traction bar, it works great at limiting wheel hop but wont make your stock spring ride any better.

Biggest question you need to ask is what do I want it to do?, how often will it have a camper?
I would likely get the Icon and enjoy the ride.

EDIT... Just saw that you said Topper not camper!! Ya that negates my comments about weight issues..lol
Just get the Icons, you will be impressed.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things to consider. The ride quality even for daily use on the Icon or Deaver springs is night and day better than stock. The Icon will allow you to add or subtract a leaf for carrying weight.
We do run offroad a lot (I have Deaver, my running buddy has Icon) and the Icon set up with the extra leaf was a tad tall and pretty firm unloaded, but was great with bedcage, dual spares and all our gear when we pre-ran for the Baja 1000. (probably 7-800 lbs)
Daily I would prefer it out and on the softer set, but if you think you will have a camper or a bed storage system then you may want it in.
Keep in mind the Raptor was never designed with load carrying ability. You cant have flex and droop designed into the rear leaf pack and still have it stiff for towing or hauling weight.
As for the RPG traction bar, it works great at limiting wheel hop but wont make your stock spring ride any better.

Biggest question you need to ask is what do I want it to do?, how often will it have a camper?
I would likely get the Icon and enjoy the ride.

EDIT... Just saw that you said Topper not camper!! Ya that negates my comments about weight issues..lol
Just get the Icons, you will be impressed.
awesome thanks for the reply, maybe ill reconsider the trac bar, its more of a nice to have mod. I figured if the springs are gonna be out might as well get er' all done up.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drove straight to RPG from Canada and left the truck there for the day while they installed my deavers and other stuff. If you're not supercharging it, I wouldn't waste my time with traction bars unless you're going for bling, I mean that is reason enough to install them, they are sexy looking. There is a shop in Vegas that could do the install pretty quick as well, south of the strip. Next time I'm there will probably get my shocks rebuilt. I'm like you, want to lift my box off and clean the whole frame and everything up like new.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just beg to differ, no supercharger, naturally aspirated 6.2L, i bought Icon leaf springs, still had some axle wrap, improved over stock, but unacceptable to me... within weeks ordered and installed RPG traction bars...

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove straight to RPG from Canada and left the truck there for the day while they installed my deavers and other stuff. If you're not supercharging it, I wouldn't waste my time with traction bars unless you're going for bling, I mean that is reason enough to install them, they are sexy looking. There is a shop in Vegas that could do the install pretty quick as well, south of the strip. Next time I'm there will probably get my shocks rebuilt. I'm like you, want to lift my box off and clean the whole frame and everything up like new.
i dont think ill ever get mine to a like new condition again, but i gotta stop the damage from progressing. Maybe next year when i head down south again ill plan for some mods with at a vendor directly!

i just beg to differ, no supercharger, naturally aspirated 6.2L, i bought Icon leaf springs, still had some axle wrap, improved over stock, but unacceptable to me... within weeks ordered and installed RPG traction bars...
so as of right now I have decided to just get the icons! Start there to get the truck refreshed and then we'll see after that about the trac bars.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i dont think ill ever get mine to a like new condition again, but i gotta stop the damage from progressing. Maybe next year when i head down south again ill plan for some mods with at a vendor directly!

so as of right now I have decided to just get the icons! Start there to get the truck refreshed and then we'll see after that about the trac bars.
Just keep spraying rust protection under there so it doesn't get worse until you can do it proper. That's what I keep doing. I had planned to take my box off last year but with two knee surgeries and still limping around, going to have to wait. Life has a way of getting in the way, in the end the truck isn't sitting in the driveway crying "I'm rusting", lol.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My local fab shop guy (who I've known for 30 years) mentioned that when replacing the oem leaf springs you WILL need to trim or reroute the oem exhaust tips to clear the spring pack at full droop. They typically just cut them off right where they bend down, at a 45° angle, to minimize exhaust fumes collecting. That's my plan for now.