GEN 2 Icon multirate rear springs added for towing. Rear of truck is too high now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have RPG adjustable collars in the middle slot. To clarify my earlier post, the Icons in option 2 didn't give me 3" of rake front to back, they gave me 3" (damn near, actually 2-7/8") of increased ride height in the rear, over stock, with no weight in the bed. That said, rake-wise I am a ridiculous 2.75" higher in the rear, measured from level ground to bottom of fender flare. I knew exactly what would happen -- I installed the ICONs on option 2 for two long towing trips, and now I'm going back to option 1, as I don't tow frequently. Sorry, I don't have pics handy.

Thanks... I’ve got Icons and Geisers on the way... trying to get a few different perspectives. Appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xgardx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks... I’ve got Icons and Geisers on the way... trying to get a few different perspectives. Appreciate the response.

I just did Icon leafs on option 1 with the Forged off-road bump plates (extra 1/4” or so of height added under the leaf) and Geisers up front on mine about 2 weeks ago, with about 150lbs in the bed between Bak rev X2 cover and some tools in a tote, truck is sitting now at

I just did Geisers front springs, and Icon leafs on opt 1 with Forged Off-road bump plates in the rear. They were sitting pretty high at first. But after a few hundred miles they have settled out a bit. On factory tires and BL wheels measurements were as followed:

Before near full fuel tank
Front 39 1/2
Rear 40 7/8

Just After install near full fuel tank
Front 42 5/8
Rear 42 1/2

Now today 400-500 miles in on near empty tank
Front 42 1/2
Rear 42 5/8

And after filling up and a 35 mile drive to work it sits at
Front 42
Rear a smidge under 42

I love the ride this far.
Front is stiffer with less nose dive or roll on turns ( but yet not too harsh as I was worried it might be)
And the rear is great, a number of bad pothole areas on my commute that the rear end would want to skip and get loose especially if you’re on the throttle, but now it stays surprisingly well planted and hooked up to the road with next to no fish tailing.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did Icon leafs on option 1 with the Forged off-road bump plates (extra 1/4” or so of height added under the leaf) and Geisers up front on mine about 2 weeks ago, with about 150lbs in the bed between Bak rev X2 cover and some tools in a tote, truck is sitting now at

I just did Geisers front springs, and Icon leafs on opt 1 with Forged Off-road bump plates in the rear. They were sitting pretty high at first. But after a few hundred miles they have settled out a bit. On factory tires and BL wheels measurements were as followed:

Before near full fuel tank
Front 39 1/2
Rear 40 7/8

Just After install near full fuel tank
Front 42 5/8
Rear 42 1/2

Now today 400-500 miles in on near empty tank
Front 42 1/2
Rear 42 5/8

And after filling up and a 35 mile drive to work it sits at
Front 42
Rear a smidge under 42

I love the ride this far.
Front is stiffer with less nose dive or roll on turns ( but yet not too harsh as I was worried it might be)
And the rear is great, a number of bad pothole areas on my commute that the rear end would want to skip and get loose especially if you’re on the throttle, but now it stays surprisingly well planted and hooked up to the road with next to no fish tailing.

Mind sending a couple pics?? I really appreciate all the info! All my stuff came in and I’m going to try to get it all done this weekend. How long did it take you? Any pointers or things to watch out for?? Also did you do an alignment and how’d it go? I’m still torn between options 1 & 2

xgardx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mind sending a couple pics?? I really appreciate all the info! All my stuff came in and I’m going to try to get it all done this weekend. How long did it take you? Any pointers or things to watch out for?? Also did you do an alignment and how’d it go? I’m still torn between options 1 & 2

i cant seem to figure out how to upload pics on here.

but some pointers would be , for the rears,
-first coat them with amsoil MPHD or similar a few coats and let them dry a few days to keep rusting to a minimum.
- a second set of hands will be needed for lifting the old and new springs in and out of place, but the rest could be done pretty much by yourself, my brother helped me with the rears at my home garage with a good set of craftsman tools/ sockets/ impact and torque wrenches, ( whatever is listed in the instructions) a good set of jack stands for frame rails, then a bottle jack to move the axle each side when installing, and a good floor jack, blocks to lift rear at trailer hitch. be sure to torque to the specs in the instructions from ICON, they are different than the number i got from watching this video ( which is a good preview of what you're getting into.)

i left both the rear shocks in but removed the spare tire for install. otherwise not that hard, just heavy pieces and takes some time due to no access for power tools. plan on at least 4-5 hours, maybe more...

fronts i did the next morning by myself, watch this video for a walk through.
he is doing a collar install, but its the same up to the point of having the strut out and on the ground, from there either take them to a auto shop that has a heavy duty floor mounted spring compressor. Or if you're feeling up to it i was able to do it myself with a set of spring compressors from harbor frieght, you can rent them from most autozone's i believe. I would get 2 sets if you can. As the Geisers are soooo long of a spring and you need to compress it sooooo much to get it to fit down on the shock, i was stuck trying to compress about only 3/5 of the length of the spring. if i had a second set, i could have started the first set to compress down a bit, put the second set on 90 degrees across from 1st set and grabbed the next coil then tightened that one down, and so on with much more ease than i did with only one set. and near the end i had those compressor threaded rods so bent looking i thought each turn was going to be when they'd snap, LOL. front took about 4-5 hours as well. alot of time was spent compressing each spring, probably 30-45 mins each per spring.

alignment is not needed right away if you can't get to it , i called the guys at Geiser and they said people have ran them for a few thousand miles without it and were ok. That being said i had already had one scheduled at my local Ford dealer cost $90 out the door, and while it was streetable without an alignment it had a slight pull to the left when you let the wheel go. and was out of the green zones in a few parameters. I'd say run for a tank of gas and let the springs settle some and have it aligned a few hundred miles after install.

about all i can think of now, watch the videos a few times, they were a big help for me..

good luck!

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score

-first coat them with amsoil MPHD or similar a few coats and let them dry a few days to keep rusting to a minimum.
- a second set of hands will be needed for lifting the old and new springs in and out of place, but the rest could be done pretty much by yourself, my brother helped me with the rears at my home garage with a good set of craftsman tools/ sockets/ impact and torque wrenches, ( whatever is listed in the instructions) a good set of jack stands for frame rails, then a bottle jack to move the axle each side when installing, and a good floor jack, blocks to lift rear at trailer hitch. be sure to torque to the specs in the instructions from ICON, they are different than the number i got from watching this video ( which is a good preview of what you're getting into.)

i left both the rear shocks in but removed the spare tire for install. otherwise not that hard, just heavy pieces and takes some time due to no access for power tools. plan on at least 4-5 hours, maybe more...

he is doing a collar install, but its the same up to the point of having the strut out and on the ground, from there either take them to a auto shop that has a heavy duty floor mounted spring compressor. Or if you're feeling up to it i was able to do it myself with a set of spring compressors from harbor frieght, you can rent them from most autozone's i believe. I would get 2 sets if you can. As the Geisers are soooo long of a spring and you need to compress it sooooo much to get it to fit down on the shock, i was stuck trying to compress about only 3/5 of the length of the spring. if i had a second set, i could have started the first set to compress down a bit, put the second set on 90 degrees across from 1st set and grabbed the next coil then tightened that one down, and so on with much more ease than i did with only one set. and near the end i had those compressor threaded rods so bent looking i thought each turn was going to be when they'd snap, LOL. front took about 4-5 hours as well. alot of time was spent compressing each spring, probably 30-45 mins each per spring.

alignment is not needed right away if you can't get to it , i called the guys at Geiser and they said people have ran them for a few thousand miles without it and were ok. That being said i had already had one scheduled at my local Ford dealer cost $90 out the door, and while it was streetable without an alignment it had a slight pull to the left when you let the wheel go. and was out of the green zones in a few parameters. I'd say run for a tank of gas and let the springs settle some and have it aligned a few hundred miles after install.

about all i can think of now, watch the videos a few times, they were a big help for me..

good luck!

Thanks for all the info and pointers! Really appreciate you taking the time to do all of that. Will let you know how it goes!!

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score

good luck!

Thanks for all the info and pointers! Really appreciate you taking the time to do all of that. Will let you know how it goes!!