Icon Leaf update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scantone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having this issue now on the drivers side, hard braking, random bumps and she goes clunk! I have noticed it's worse when wet.

kromealt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On different gen2's, I have had 3 sets of Deavers and decided to try Icon this time - my results with Icon has been terrible in comparison. I also suffer from build quality issues and major clunks over big bumps and have narrowed it down to three areas.
  • The ubrackets in the rear that hold the leaf pack together comes in contact with the outer mufflers on both sides.
  • In comparison to previous Deavers there is a noticeable gap between the leafs which causes them to slap together over extreme articulation, the pad inserts are supposed to minimize this but there shouldn't be any gaps.
  • Lastly, the pack comes preinstalled with bushings from the factory and the rear bushings aren't the correct size - there's a noticeable gap between the poly bushing and shackle so the recommended 86ish/lbs spring to shackle torque isn't enough - I ended up going 136 like gen1 to resolve this one. (Deaver came with 2 poly bushing sizes, Icons are the same front/rear)
I spent some time trying to communicate with Icon initially after purchase and ultimately gave up because they ignore emails and shrug you off when you call. Your results may vary but I regret getting Icon and really wish I would have stuck with the tried and true Deavers.

Last edited:

TWIIGG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On different gen2's, I have had 3 sets of Deavers and decided to try Icon this time - my results with Icon has been terrible in comparison. I also suffer from built quality issues and major clunks over big bumps and have narrowed it down to three areas.
  • The ubrackets in the rear that hold the leaf pack together comes in contact with the outer mufflers on both sides.
  • In comparison to previous Deavers there is a noticeable gap between the leafs which causes them to slap together over extreme articulation, the pad inserts are supposed to minimize this but there shouldn't be any gaps.
  • Lastly, the pack comes preinstalled with bushings from the factory and the rear bushings aren't the correct size - there's a noticeable gap between the poly bushing and shackle so the recommended 86ish/lbs spring to shackle torque isn't enough - I ended up going 136 like gen1 to resolve this one. (Deaver came with 2 poly bushing sizes, Icons are the same front/rear)
I spent some time trying to communicate with Icon initially after purchase and ultimately gave up because they ignore emails and shrug you off when you call. Your results may vary but I regret getting Icon and really wish I would have stuck with the tried and true Deavers.

Sorry you are having these problems! That said, really appreciate you posting your concerns with this... I’m in the parts ordering phase awaiting my ‘20 and was heavily weighing the Icons as they are slightly cheaper than the Deavers- after reading through this thread, no question that Deavers are how I will go!

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was considering icons as well with The add a leaf. For the 400lb load because I won’t need the 800... I’ll be purchasing next spring and keeping an eye on this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed mine about a month ago on option 2. They ride so much better. Put about 2000 miles on then so far and they seems great.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed mine about a month ago on option 2. They ride so much better. Put about 2000 miles on then so far and they seems great.

do you have any weight in the back or are u on option 2 empty?

how does it feel compared to stock? Firmer? Like a regular F150?

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have any weight in the back or are u on option 2 empty?

how does it feel compared to stock? Firmer? Like a regular F150?

Carry 1-300lbs on weekend trips and probably 80lbs on weekdays.

Feels way nicer than stock. Small washboard or bumps that would cause the back to hop are like nothing now. Really love it.

I’m running option 2 with the sdhq extended shackle so theres only a small lift.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running option 2. For the most part the only weight in the rear is the retrax bed cover, truck rides great & no wheel hop.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm running option 2. For the most part the only weight in the rear is the retrax bed cover, truck rides great & no wheel hop.
Good to know, that’s the setting I’m aiming for. Seems to give the most flexibility