Icon Leaf install. What Shackles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gotsboost

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your talking KHC conversion, do you mean for Gen 2 shocks on a Gen 1 in the front, for the rear the shackle just sets ride height (more or less, it does change the arc that the rear leaf spring eye travels through as the suspension cycles), travel is limited by rear shock... unless your running an aftermarket shock, then you have to do your own math.... what i'm trying to say poorly, is the rear shackle does not care what shock is mounted in the back, you could even remove the shock, ride height unaffected... so the KHC conversion (I agree not crazy about hacking off shock/strut towers) really has nothing to do with KHC's offered three lengths of rear shackles (stock, +1, and +2).... hopefully that makes some sense or I misunderstood the statement...
Yea man all I was saying is it was a hell of a lot harder to do the conversion then grinding some shackles. Hell I even remounted the rear shocks too because the SVC bump kit maxes them out at full bump

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real quick, I have ICON leafs installed on my 2012 on shock shackles without issue. Am I missing something? If it’s pushed hard will something bind? I’ve been Offroad a bunch since the icon install and haven’t run into any shackle related issues.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I would upgrade the shackles anyway, it would help with rear-end sway.
Take a look and see if you have mark on the springs.
Thanks for the details, I’ll go check mine out. I’d like to stay with stock length as I don’t want the rear any lower than it is now (running 37s). Are the Camburg stock length a good option?

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, the next time it rains or there's a lot of moisture in the air, listen and see if your leafs "pop". When its wet, I get a "pop" sound/feel from the spring wrap areas on both of mine. This happens then the suspension flexes or articulates.

When I brought this up to the ICON dealer I purchased the springs from I was told it was normal and their own shop trucks did this too.

Before anyone asks, springs were installed correctly and everything was installed hand tight while in the air then torqued to spec with the full weight of the truck on them on the ground. Bolts were check/retorqued several times. Factory shackles were used as well.

Could my issue be the OEM shackles?

- Travis