ICON 95220 leaf install questions / tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning forum, I will be installing a set of ICON 95220 leafs on my 2012 in the coming weeks. I wanted to ask for any tips / advice for the upcoming install? I searched the forum but didn’t find much “how to” info, only threads on how the leafs perform. If anyone has a gen 1 and installed the ICON leafs, please share your experience and maybe any tips for a driveway install. I have plenty of time and tools, just looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

75th Fires

Reaction score
As it turns out I am just doing that install as we speak. So far the bolts at the front of the leafs were a pain to cut through. For some reason the drivers side is more difficult. I’m going to have to get better blades for my sawzall. I ran through 5 blades just getting the passenger side cut. More problematic is the fact that I am running the stock exhaust. It looks like there is no way the passenger rear will clear the side exhaust. I guess I’m going to have to cut and convert to a down pipe. Anyone have any advice?

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also ran into a sawsall blade issue too. I ended up using a 4 1/2” cutoff wheel and was SUPER careful around the gas tank. As for the exhaust, I cut my pipe in front of the axle.

For the torque, I did 160 at the shackle and 200 at the front mount (as high as my torque wrench went). So far so good, I’m at 300 miles, at 500 I’ll retorque and check all connections again. Photos attached.

B398AC25-6069-4D99-9ED3-366B9C94EAFC.jpeg

52335BAC-BADF-49CE-B666-250E8C5A6229.jpeg

DC997BDF-B0B7-4E5D-B5C0-B2967EF32F83.jpeg

E04EF352-CCBB-4E64-8E07-A51B12F6F8BF.jpeg

F4D896AC-B3E9-4081-8C65-2B803CB80985.jpeg

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
¿Just curious? Kindasorta a second opinion request...I have been following and reading all views of the "infamous" leaf spring upgrades, etc...A common complaint I read, is the bolt difficulty and the multiple blades, and time consuming it is to take/cut the bolt off, etc. Is it really anymore difficult to just lower an empty or near empty gas tank on our Raptors (GEN 1s)? And save yourselves all the nagging and headaches, and costly blades and time wasted (especially those doing this on your backs as driveway monkeys)? Now my disclaimer...I have been under my truck(s) plenty of times and have replaced a gas tank or two on my previous trucks and car, but I haven't on the beast nor really thought much about it until recently bc of all the bitching about the bolts and that I am considering a leaf spring upgrade.

All real comments are greatly excepted, but for the keyboard jockeys that just think they are slick Willies that really only have maybe checked their oil can just read along and learn something.

75th Fires

Reaction score
Well for mine, I would have had to remove the muffler and also remove the gas tank. Far easier to cut as difficult as it was.

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I started the left install I did consider dropping the tank, but I had already purchased a 5 pack of bimetal sawsall blades so I gave it a go with those. After burning through 2 brand new blades and only cutting a 1/16” cut in the bolt, I turned to my cutoff wheel and ripped through the passenger side like butter. I knew the drivers side would Be more of a challenge since the gas tank was right there. I ended up just making a cut about a quarter of the way through the bolt, and then I turned the actual bolts a quarter turn and cut again. I did that a total of five or six times until I only had a small piece in the center of the bolt and I hit it with a hammer and a flatbed screwdriver and it broke right off.

MEIRONMAN207

Reaction score
Well for mine, I would have had to remove the muffler and also remove the gas tank. Far easier to cut as difficult as it was.
Yes I figured the muffler would have to be lowered also, but for some (I don't bc I have a Lightning side custom job) with a dump before the axles don't even need tp worry about the tail pipes/spare as these need to be moved for additional work space to move the leaf springs into place, etc. So I figured that into the equation already. Just the tank dropping for even more room, in addition to the muffler drop and ease into doing the upgrade?

MEIRONMAN207

Reaction score
Before I started the left install I did consider dropping the tank, but I had already purchased a 5 pack of bimetal sawsall blades so I gave it a go with those. After burning through 2 brand new blades and only cutting a 1/16” cut in the bolt, I turned to my cutoff wheel and ripped through the passenger side like butter. I knew the drivers side would Be more of a challenge since the gas tank was right there. I ended up just making a cut about a quarter of the way through the bolt, and then I turned the actual bolts a quarter turn and cut again. I did that a total of five or six times until I only had a small piece in the center of the bolt and I hit it with a hammer and a flatbed screwdriver and it broke right off.
Ok...a better real life experience...maybe something to consider, as I continue to mull over the future job course of action.