icom radio group buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had really good luck with the 5021. Several baja trips and there is always a radio issue within the group, but not ever people with 5021s. Not being field programmable is a negative, but if you put together a good list of all the frequencies you need, it shouldn't be a problem. The advantage of not being field programmable, is that there is no accidental pushing of buttons that can mess up the radio.

It is field programmable, you have to use a laptop which I do and have the cable, it is not programmable without these so it is not typically user programmable without the extras.. I can program a group of 5021s on the fly with my laptop so everyone gets the right frequency...

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
It is field programmable, you have to use a laptop which I do and have the cable, it is not programmable without these so it is not typically user programmable without the extras.. I can program a group of 5021s on the fly with my laptop so everyone gets the right frequency...

Doesn't exactly meet the definition of field programmable. Every radio that can be programmed by software is field programmable by that definition.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just dont want people to think they have no programmable options. If they go to a run and I am there I am happy to program any 3021/5021 i carry the software on my laptop and bring it with me... Helps keep everybody on a frequency we can all use..I am just saying there is not some piece of special equipment that can not be carried in to the field easily to program them..

Last edited:

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is there an interest for a group buy on the 5021? I'll be interested in it if it's a full kit. Ie. quality antenna etc.

Mil T

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use the browning amplified antenna and have great success... Let the car stereo company know if you guys are intersted he is a Icom dealer and he did a great job on the Nav tv stuff for everyone...