icom radio group buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trey- I cut it to length following the instructions but I was more curious about the ball on the end of the antenna. If the ball was significant for anything.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out in the desert while testing some communications equipment for the air force we could routinely get the F5021 to reach easily 50 miles accross some valleys on peak to peak of some mountains.. Today I can easily hear radio traffic from Gilroy to San Jose at 30 miles not on peaks... I have been doing radio communications for a very long time. Even played with ham radios but got bored since it was non-essential and hearing people barking in my ear because they saw a squirrel gets old.. The antenna can have a huge effect on how well the radio works, or does not work... So proper installation, a good antenna and quality radios is what makes for useful communications...

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out in the desert while testing some communications equipment for the air force we could routinely get the F5021 to reach easily 50 miles accross some valleys on peak to peak of some mountains.. Today I can easily hear radio traffic from Gilroy to San Jose at 30 miles not on peaks... I have been doing radio communications for a very long time. Even played with ham radios but got bored since it was non-essential and hearing people barking in my ear because they saw a squirrel gets old.. The antenna can have a huge effect on how well the radio works, or does not work... So proper installation, a good antenna and quality radios is what makes for useful communications...

So what do you recommend? f5021?

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what do you recommend? f5021?

In fairness I will tell you I have the f5021 in my truck now and it is the one I would count on for the price point. If you have a bigger budget there are some radios at around 1000 but you get a little more stuff for 3 times the money... So for me F5021 it will do over 100 channels and is compatable with almost every radio thats used for Raptor expeditions.. Hand helds simply lack the power to broadcst long distance but are better than nothing...

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ball should have little signifigance. Yeah, I could go that it does act as a capatince hat, or to keep your antenna from unraveling.... LOL
It is so it it does not poke you in the eye so easy!!! More square inches of area LOL...
Always check your SWR with forward/reverse meter or if you are like some (me) use your SWR analizer like MFJ makes, not cheap though.....

OSP

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the ball is there to protect you from stabbing yourself, at least with regular radio antennas it is. the length is the important part

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
So Trey the F5021 is the smart buy? What do you recommend?

I've had really good luck with the 5021. Several baja trips and there is always a radio issue within the group, but not ever people with 5021s. Not being field programmable is a negative, but if you put together a good list of all the frequencies you need, it shouldn't be a problem. The advantage of not being field programmable, is that there is no accidental pushing of buttons that can mess up the radio.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree f5021 is a solid truck mounted radio.. Has yet to fail me.. The woxun on the other hand has gone wonky (accidental mode changes, etc)

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Last edited: