IC shutters , remove ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removed mine when I installed my ADD bumper over two years ago and never an issue or code.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have not done your due diligence on this. Shameful to spew such shit rhetoric.
Ford has done a ton of work on this and those shutters are why you don’t have misfires. This replaces the idea that people had in pre-17 trucks by drilling the intercooler to drain it. Leaving the shutters in place is Ford’s way to tell you they have the intercooler moisture figured out.

So...the shutters also keep the moisture out of the radiator to, and Ford never has recalls / repair bulletins & Ford corporate didn't tell my local dealer to remove them. Yeah, right! Funny thing happend when I looked under the hood of my other intercooled Turbo vehicles (Ford & H1) and they don't seem to have shutters. Should I add them?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the ******** reply. So you’re saying Ford fixed the moisture issue by heating the IC to bo boil out the moisture …. Awesome
No. They are operated based on environmental conditions. When ambient temperatures are low, the shutters close to prevent moisture buildup in the charge air cooler (CAC). The PCM constantly monitors the CAC temperature (CAC_T); as charge air cooler temp rises, moisture buildup will not occur and the shutters then open. It’s the same principle as a thermostat.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No problem since removing them. Most of the time it allows the IC to keep a little cooler while at steady cruise. I found the factory strategy kept the shutters closed just to much. The IC cools faster from coming off a stop light as well, once you get cruising. It’s not day and night, but it’s something that can help. I’m in a generally hot climate. So this mod may not be good year round for others that have cold winters and a lot of dampness. Ford had to engineer a system to work in all climates plain and simple.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you remove them? I got the grill off. The center connector off. But how do you remove the shutters

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you remove them? I got the grill off. The center connector off. But how do you remove the shutters
Just apply a little pressure on the side of each shutter and they basically pop out. It’s completely reversible.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just apply a little pressure on the side of each shutter and they basically pop out. It’s completely reversible.
So pull the center out so they bend enough to clear the side holes ?