I want to test drive a 1st gen raptor willing to PAY $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlensky5656

Reaction score
Hey All,

I live in Southern California and I am looking to buy a 1st gen raptor the issue is the one I want is 2 1/2 hours away from me. (one owner 30k miles garaged all that jazz its actually not even up for sale but the owner is willing to sell it to me). I have never driven or even rode inside a raptor before. I want to test drive one locally (orange county area) if possible before making that drive. I have checked Turo and ridester companies where people rent out their personal vehicles and there are no raptors in there locally. I actually do not want to rent I just want to test drive it not that far either. I can tell within a couple minutes if I am going to like a vehicle or not. So literally driving it around the block a couple times will be fine. I do not need to go fast or anything I am just talking about driving it normal for a couple minutes. I would be willing to pay $50 to to do this. If you know anyone with a 1st gen raptor in stock oem form that would allow this I would be greatly appreciative.

Reason I have recently jacked up my back in the last couple years that has made liking vehicles difficult. Trucks are tricky because it all depends. My buddy has a 2012 f150 xlt lariat stock oem with all season tires and 18" wheels and that thing to me drives so smooth and we have done road trips in it no issues. My dads 2014 gmc sierra stock oem with 18 wheels on k02 all terrains again rides just fine to me. However my brothers new 2022 chevy silverado trail boss on 18" with its "oem" (not really its rancho i believe) 2" lift and duratrac tires is super rough and hurts my back I also think its the seats they are super hard and the contouring pushes against my lower back. I also have a friend with a 2017/2018 f150 stock oem with all terrain and that thing to me rides rough and hurts my back. I have a 2000 silverado with way over 200k miles on it and it just started hurting my back but I used to drive that thing all the time with no issues. Its also falling a part so that has more to do with it i think. I thought it wasn't that bad back when it had less than 100k miles on it and the oem set up now it has aftermarket shocks on it. The seat itself is not level because the foam inside caves on one side so you are sitting at an angle so not the best for bad backs haha. So again I am no stranger to trucks and I know they ride like trucks however as mentioned above some do and some dont bother me. I know the raptor is not riding on all season but 35" all terrains and that it has a stock fox suspension but still I have heard conflicting things some say it rides really good for a truck and others say it rides rougher for a truck and thats the thing its all subjective and will differ person to person. This is why I would want to do a couple min test drive of it to see for myself. I know this is a long shot and will probably not generate anyone but just thought I would give it a shot or if any one has any ideas of any other ways I can test drive one let me know. Thanks

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm. just about everyone i know in socal has modified their truck. finding a stock gen 1 here on frf might be hard. too bad you arent in colorado. the girlfriends truck is stock except for eibach front springs, which is the same spring rate as oem, just 2 inches longer. (insert joke here)

OP
OP
J

jlensky5656

Reaction score
hmmmm. just about everyone i know in socal has modified their truck. finding a stock gen 1 here on frf might be hard. too bad you arent in colorado. the girlfriends truck is stock except for eibach front springs, which is the same spring rate as oem, just 2 inches longer. (insert joke here)
Hahah definitely inserted a joke. Yeah thats a good point most on here are probably gonna be modified in some way didn't even think about that. Its just like buying them here in SoCal too a lot of the ads I see for 1st gen are not stock either. Too bad but I appreciate your response and for a good chuckle.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think that you're more likely to find a Yeti than a stock, garage-kept GEN1 with less than 30K on the clock.
You are in search of a mythical beast!

Serious question: If your back is a real factor in vehicle selection, a big truck with nearly 12 inches of suspension travel may be too painful for you to get into and out of. Have you considered or perhaps tested that possibility?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The raptor actually rides better than a regular f150 of the same year, especially when you drive it harder. You'll want to test drive a stock raptor that is on its original shock setting as those are the softest ride out of the factory. These trucks are not lumpy, rough riding like old trucks from the 60-70's era, hence why most people now just buy them for commuters to the mall and Starbucks. With a sore back you are not going to be offroading yours, you obviously want it for a status symbol/looks, just like 95% of the population, I say just go get that bad boy/girl! A Raptor sits a bit higher off the ground, maybe a couple inches over a lariat, so put a couple 2x4's on your friends running boards and see if that is too difficult to get into or not. Good luck.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jlensky5656 if you are willing to pay someone to test drive their truck, why not throw that money in gas in your beater car (or friends beater car) and drive out to go test drive the truck? might as well at this point, that way you dont have to wait and try to find someone and possiby miss out on the deal.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Well after owning 2 tahoes that ride very comfortable, since thats what theyre made for. I actually like the raptors ride just as much. I bet if I redid the suspension (it’s getting close to needed it) itd ride even better. The leafs vs the rear shocks and springs are the only thing that I’ve noticed a slight difference in stiffness. If getting into a higher truck isnt an issue im almost sure youd be liking it.