I want a tad looser Torque convertor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about a converter to help the big end power pick up some with the Roush blower they make that low end but give it up on the top. I’m gonna have to look into that Circle D converter now thanks . Oh yea btw how do you like the 4.88’s I’m thinking about it but haven’t seen any vids of any acceleration anywhere so I’ve been patiently waiting

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Convertor does nothing for "big end power", unless your stock one is slipping. These are factory lockup convertors, the aftermarkets are lockups as well. Once you are past the stall and into lockup there is no difference between an aftermarket and stock convertor.

Gearing may not necessarily help your top end either, unless you have a specific speed/condition you are trying to change the behavior in. If your gears are matched to your tires you should be looking elsewhere.

If your supercharged and you feel like your top end is suffering you need to log your IAT, chances are good your heat exchanger is inadequate and the IAT are causing the PCM to pull timing.

Blacktor

Reaction score
I work at Circle D and would be happy to help with the converter. Feel free to give us a call. That being said, B E N is correct. It will not pick up your top end performance. The torque converter should be in lockup at that point. This means 0 torque converter slip.

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I work at Circle D and would be happy to help with the converter. Feel free to give us a call. That being said, B E N is correct. It will not pick up your top end performance. The torque converter should be in lockup at that point. This means 0 torque converter slip.
Do you feel a convertor will help tone down my low end ? Talking like a 2400 stall . Anybody know what a stock convertor stalls at? I heard a 5.0 6r80 converter stalls bit higher than 6.2 trucks. Comparing my 19 rap with a 10r80 that stall is pretty high , i feel if it wasn't high , with that low of 1st gear ratio it would throw you around at part throttle and off throttle. I have no problems with big end power . I'm just trying smooth things out part throttle down low. Doesn't have anything to do with gas pedal response/sensitivity either , its mechanical low stock stall and 4.88 gears . Thanks

Found this for 2012-2013 6r80 vehicles

Stall Speed
Engine Min Max
3.7L 2300 2580
5.0L 2400 2700
3.5L GTDI 2300 2580
6.2L 2000 2250

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will not tone down your low end, it might soften your shifts a little but that isn't what a stall convertor is for.

Stall is the RPM at which the convertor stops multiplying torque and goes to a 1:1 ratio. They are often used in vehicles with big cams, or small engines that rev high, or something with turbos or centrifugal type blowers to help get you into boost quicker. They are also commonly used on drag vehicles to regulate the launch RPM.

The idea behind the stall convertor is to get the engine up into the power band using the torque multiplication. It will tend to make the vehicle feel a little soggy or unresponsive when you aren't on it, and when you hammer it you will almost instantly go to the stall speed, which on a supercharged raptor most likely means nothing but wheel spin. Think of it like like doing higher RPM starts with a manual transmission, rev it to 2400 or whatever your stall is then drop the clutch. The effect is largely the same.

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's exactly what I want less responsive tooling around until I want to hammer it . Manual Trans analogy i would want it to rev tad higher and slip clutch more to ease into 1 to 1 lock up so its not jerking your head. Soften shifts up to would'nt be bad either. I only know of how my 454ss and 02 lightning responded when i put 2500 stall . toned down low end at part throttle until it was time to get on it.