GEN 1 I think my Roush 6.2 with 70K miles just broke a valve spring! Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedlineHD

Reaction score
Hello guys, i just bought this new to me 2011 Roush Raptor with only 70K miles on it. Its in amazing shape for the year.
I flew to Toronto and drove it back to Alberta(2400miles) and the next day after work it started to run very rough….
No codes and no ticking sound but was only able to get 35mph.
i thought it was the throttle body so i drove it home(5mins away)
Check engine light came on with a P0358 code….i pulled it in the garage and then i could hear lifters or broken valve spring….‍
Short Video attached of the clicking sound.(its the longest clip i could upload)
It looks really tight up there with the supercharger…
Do i have to completely remove the roush charger to access the valve cover and #8? Or removing/reinstall the roush 90* elbow can be done?

Any help is really appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8262.MOV
    15 MB

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To access the valve cover, it looks like you just need to remove the intake tube and elbow. Since you’re supercharged, you might consider preemptively replacing all 16 valve springs and seals with at least OEM or @Cody Dawson at Perfect Circle Engines has a drop in kit that uses PAC Racing springs and shims with titanium retainers.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pull the blower. It's not that hard to do. Dealing with the electrical and vacuum harnesses is the toughest part, aside from the sheer weight of it. An engine hoist isn't the worst idea to help get it out of there if you don't have a couple big hosses around. Pulling it will make working on the engine easy and it'll give you the opportunity to clean oil from the intercooler.

The factory EGR dumps a bunch of crap into the intake which ends up coating the IC. You also get deposits on it from hot vapors working their way up from the cylinders after shutdown, since one of the valves is going to be open. I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a pretty agressive batch of degreaser, the purple stuff or better.

Edit: +1 on the PAC spring set if you are going in there to replace one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedlineHD

RedlineHD

Reaction score
I can install a chain fall hoist to help me lift it out and have access to industrial orange degreaser for the IC.
Great idea!

Is there a gasket underneath the supercharger, or anything else i need to order before i start?

Since i will be in there, i do plan to change all spring valves, seals and retainers.Anything else?
I read that the titanium retainers wear much faster than tool steel…. so i don’t know about them yet.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is usually a thin metal gasket under the blower that can be re-used.

You might want to pick up a new gasket for the throttle body if that has to be separated from the elbow.

If the IC is bolted to the blower, heat those bolts up really well if you plan to separate them to clean the IC. You don't need them glowing red or anything crazy, but put some good heat into them before you try to remove them. They are typically installed with red loctite and that stuff just melts away to nothing when it gets hot. If it doesn't want to come out, heat it up some more, it's a big heat sink you are dealing with.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When camera first starts and moves in first video , i see a orange flash underneath TB about where a coil pack would be . My best guess you have a bad coil pack and its arcing to ground. Have truck running in garage a short amount of time with lights off, pitch dark and look for an arcing spark before do anything else . That code P0358 is an ignition coil code.

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a neighbor with 2003 lightning , 5.4 had same sound and run rough , i loaned him my spare coil pack set off my 02 lighting and cured the issue his boots were arcing to ground.

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good deal , i have a Whipple so its kinda easier to get to coil packs . Not sure on a Roush , Get you a new coil pack to get you rolling again , But I would consider doing all 16 spark plugs , the wires and coil packs ,If you don't know the history of the truck