I screwed up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevor Smith

Reaction score
Howdy folks, long time lurker looking for some insight.

I have a '12 w/ 135k miles and it's been rock solid reliable.

Sunday I was out looking for grouse with my 10 month old Vizsla Ralph and we found some mud.

First few rips in the mud were uneventful. Then I buried it up to the windows. Yikes.

I kept it going and made it out, but put the airbox under water (AFE cold air intake w/ open element).

I pulled the intake and cleaned everything as well as I could, and I just changed the oil and filter (which both looked totally normal)

But there is an audible grinding sound coming from the front of the engine. It sounds like perhaps the water pump or another of the accessories driven by the serp belt, but my lizard brain is telling me it's worse

Anything else I could/ should check? Seema to be running fine sans the new noise.

God bless

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, post a pic of your raptor and I will tell you what's wrong! In the mean time, check your fan blades for the cooling of the radiator, probably screwed them up. They've been known to vibrate and crack after being submerged.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would take the front skid plate off and get a good hose nozzle and wash everything out.
If you still have noise then take the belt off and rotate everything.
If you have the old style idler pulley (metal cup shape hollow back) you have to try and get the hose back in there.
The idler pulley is something that doesn't last for ever anyway, especially if it's the old version.
The clutch for the AC compressor is down on the bottom give that some extra spray down.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
T

Trevor Smith

Reaction score
I would take the front skid plate off and get a good hose nozzle and wash everything out.
If you still have noise then take the belt off and rotate everything.
If you have the old style idler pulley (metal cup shape hollow back) you have to try and get the hose back in there.
The idler pulley is something that doesn't last for ever anyway, especially if it's the old version.
The clutch for the AC compressor is down on the bottom give that some extra spray down.
Good Luck!

My man. Will give it a go in the AM.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, wash everything off and check the fans. If the noise is still there, take the serp belt off and run the engine, see if the noise goes away. If it does, you know is an accessory or pulley.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who wants to see pictures of it buried in mud "up to the windows"? Something about that seems like a bit of a stretch of the imagination. I mean, I love these trucks, but I severely doubt one could get out of mud if it was buried that deep! Not without a LOT of help (like, maybe an excavator!) at least!