I ran into One of The World’s Greatest Fisherman on the Trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Osprey are not to be trifled with. I had a buddy who was a prolific photographer among other things and he would take Osprey pics from Fort Belvoir along the Potomac River in NoVA. There are several mating pairs of bald eagles as well as a healthy osprey population. He got pictures of
Bald eagles snagging fish from the river.
Osprey stalking eagles with fish
eagles are weighed down and not as fast
Osprey attack bald eagles in mid air, steal bald eagle's lunch
Osprey fly off and eat their lunch.

Quite impressive.
I would love to watch something like that in person!

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Central Oregon we get both Osprey & Bald Eagles, we have seen it the ohter way, with the eagles harassing the Osprey for their fish.
I have to keep the Osprey at bay from our irrigation pond, as they will pluck out the gold fish we have in the pond to keep the mosquitos and frog populations under control.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would love to watch something like that in person!
I’m not familiar with the seasons so much but Belvoir is both open to bow hunting and has good hiking and nature trails. They even have blinds Usable for both birding and hunting My buddy had many spots to photograph from along miles of trails, and remains on patrol at his favorite one, for eternity.

MPRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pics as usual, thx for sharing. I used to sail the Chesapeake Bay a lot and damn near every channel marker big enough to hold one had an Osprey nest. Now I see them all the time when I fish the San Juan River in New Mexico. Just beautiful birds and so exciting to see them catch fish! (As long as it’s not the one on the end of ur fly line, lol)

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool Cool
Short story...so I'm a Retired Navy Mineman and we had MHC's or Mine Hunter Coastal ships. They were all equipped with sonar and a remote controlled sub for hunting and detecting naval mines. They class of ship was all listed as Birds of Prey and Osprey was the first which means they are all the Osprey class, 12 total. I was on the USS Raven, Kingfisher and Shrike. They have all been decommissioned and I did two of them. My first ship was the Raven which our mascot was the Baltimore Ravens. Was a shirt with tons of signatures and pictures playing ball with them. Was raffled off when we decommed the ship.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Cool Cool
Short story...so I'm a Retired Navy Mineman and we had MHC's or Mine Hunter Coastal ships. They were all equipped with sonar and a remote controlled sub for hunting and detecting naval mines. They class of ship was all listed as Birds of Prey and Osprey was the first which means they are all the Osprey class, 12 total. I was on the USS Raven, Kingfisher and Shrike. They have all been decommissioned and I did two of them. My first ship was the Raven which our mascot was the Baltimore Ravens. Was a shirt with tons of signatures and pictures playing ball with them. Was raffled off when we decommed the ship.
OUT-FNING-STANDING! I never knew that, very cool, but then I never understood why the Navy’s Rank was Fuxked up like the Airforce….:pepper::anitoof: All upside down, 3-stripes is a private….errrr s e a m a n 4th class or whatever….I hated going on a “Naval Base”
Uhhhhh good afternoon errr Corporal Major, Ahhhh Chief Master Petty Captain…
W T F how is an Army guy supposed to figure that shixt out, without a handbook with pictures??
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE…

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OUT-FNING-STANDING! I never knew that, very cool, but then I never understood why the Navy’s Rank was Fuxked up like the Airforce….:pepper::anitoof: All upside down, 3-stripes is a private….errrr s e a m a n 4th class or whatever….I hated going on a “Naval Base”
Uhhhhh good afternoon errr Corporal Major, Ahhhh Chief Master Petty Captain…
W T F how is an Army guy supposed to figure that shixt out, without a handbook with pictures??
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE…
Hahaha....it isn't so bad. None of them are if that is your life anyhow. Airforce confuses me and I grew up at Eglin and my Grandfather was Airforce, Dad was a Marine and I was Army then Navy.

Very Welcome, and thank you!