I need lighting help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be getting the SVC bolt on front bumper and Im stuck on what to do for the lights. I dont off-road a lot, but I do go to big bear and other local spots a few times a year. I don't do any hardcore nighttime desert racing, but I am a sucker for lots of light.

I like the onx6 20 inch light bar, but from what I am reading its a one trick pony. Would 5 or 6 squadron pros be better? if so which ones? I don't want the sae fog light ones or whichever ones are deemed "fog lights", id like as much light as possible as I wouldn't use it on the street. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ran many lights from many different companies. I have a 20” ONYX+ (amongst other lights) and it is my go to light. Hands down. When compared to other BD products, and competitors light bars, it is a great value and true power house.

c26e4c811a66b8ced2e8524697313319.jpg
^ 20” BD ONYX+ in combo.

Due to the lower bumper mount location, I switched the lens to all wide cornering/ driving and couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally speaking, on bumpers, I like the look of a single light bar compared to multiple smaller lights but you can’t go wrong with the BD Onx6+. I have the 40” and boy is it BRIGHT.

I’m not too sure how many amps the 20” draws but something to keep in mind is that you’ll need a relay to hook up to the upfitters if the amps are above a certain amount.

On a side note, are you having SVC install the bumper?

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ran many lights from many different companies. I have a 20” ONYX+ (amongst other lights) and it is my go to light. Hands down. When compared to other BD products, and competitors light bars, it is a great value and true power house.

^ 20” BD ONYX+ in combo.

Due to the lower bumper mount location, I switched the lens to all wide cornering/ driving and couldn’t be happier.

Damn thats bright!

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally speaking, on bumpers, I like the look of a single light bar compared to multiple smaller lights but you can’t go wrong with the BD Onx6+. I have the 40” and boy is it BRIGHT.

I’m not too sure how many amps the 20” draws but something to keep in mind is that you’ll need a relay to hook up to the upfitters if the amps are above a certain amount.

On a side note, are you having SVC install the bumper?
I didn't think about the amps. Yes SVC would do the install.

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ 20” BD ONYX+ in combo.

Looking at putting this in as well. Just curious why you went to the wide driving vs. the combo? I would be installing in the lower part of the ADD bolt on. So same location as you I assume.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at putting this in as well. Just curious why you went to the wide driving vs. the combo? I would be installing in the lower part of the ADD bolt on. So same location as you I assume.
I have both lenses. Which is a great feature with BD. I have made some expensive mistakes with lighting. BD helps elevate many issues regarding trial and error with their “uservice.” I believe anything below the headlights should be a flood or driving style and anything above the headlights a spot pattern.

Since my 20” combo light was mounted below the headlights, I found it difficult to angle the spot portion down onto the roadway. The spot pretty much just runs parallel with the roadway. I was losing light. A lot of it. By using the wide cornering/ driving, I was able to put a significant higher amount of light in front of me. Very effective and highly recommend.

With an added spot light on the hood mounts, then you have a pretty damn good lighting set up.

Buy both lenses, since they are so cost effective, and see which one works best for you. Keep the other in your glove compartment. Switch them out as you see fit . just bring a few extra screws and have a quality tight fitting Allen key. I have stripped a couple screws in the past and I just drop a new screw in. Probably happened twice now. Don’t over tighten, hand snug is enough. God speed.

Last edited: