GEN 1 I need help with this Weird Sound while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elMechanic

Reaction score
So, I have this weird noise that I can heard from inside the truck, but cannot find it when I am outside.

Its like a ticking sound whenever I accelerate it increases in frequency and loudness, once I take off my foot from the gas pedal the sound reduces and disappears, I cannot hear it anymore.
Even when its on cruise control the sound is there, and its constant in frequency and loudness, once I cancel the cruise control it goes off (I think it is still there, but barely noticeable).

Not only while driving, even when its parked, lets say I start the engine, the sound comes on, increases and then disappears once the RPM goes low. or even when I just rev it, I can hear it increasing and decreasing. (so its anything related to the 4WD)

After thinking about it for a while, the sound started after I changed engine oil and filter (used the OEM one) , change spark plugs and wires,
I have been searching about this problem in here, but couldn't find anything like it (maybe I missed it or something).

Any I the problem is?

those are 2 video about it, one is just when I startup the engine, and another just when I start accelerating after a speed bump (the dark video)

Edit:
I should mention that I have a 2013 Screw 6.2L
this problem has been going on for 2 months now, and since 2 weeks ago (when I changed the EVAP) the truck started to get 0RPM and shut down by its own and "Low oil pressure" warning comes on the screen happened twice when I reached a stop sign (oil level and life is still good)

Attachments

• accelerating.mp4
    79.3 KB
  • Startup.mp4
    909 KB
Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's really hard to tell from those videos, could you possibly pop your hood and leave your phone recording on the rad support and then start it up.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you mentioned a plug change. Check on your plug wires to make sure they are properly connected. After I did the plugs on mine, I had a boot pop off and it had a clicking sound.

BB427

Reaction score
My experiences with variable engine ticking sounds, especially those that amplify in direct proportion to throttle input, point to exhaust gas pressure leaking. A staccato ticking sound points to an individual cylinder exhaust port at the manifold. The amplitude of the sound will move in direct proportion to, say, the reading on a vacuum/boost gauge. The sound may also increase or decrease based on the temperature of the components in play, and thus cold start events may differ somewhat from heat soaked ones.
"Your mileage may vary."

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first thought was a coil arcing but that's not it (way louder and you'd hear it at idle), it almost sounds like it's RFI interference coming through the speakers, were the new plug wires shielded?

OP
OP
elMechanic

elMechanic

Reaction score
Thanks all for the inputs,

while trying to solve this dilemma of this weird sound, and the other problem with the engine stalling and shutting off
I checked the air filter today, and oh man it probably needed to be changed few thousands back lol, it has a life of -200%, so I ordered a new OEM one (as my car still has the OEM one installed)
and it will arrive tomorrow hopefully.
I already have a new set of OEM spark plugs, MSD ignition coils and spark wires available, so I will be installing those for sure

and will check if the sound and stalling (with shutting off) problems disappear, before looking into any exhaust/headers related leakage issues

will update soon

OP
OP
elMechanic

elMechanic

Reaction score
Engine stalling and shutting off problem was fixed by the following
So, as I mentioned I replaced the OEM air filter with a new OEM one, and cleaned the injectors with the throttle body, the problem still occurs, Checked engine compression, all pistons are working properly , after re-programming the throttle body to the factory settings, the problem is gone, no more stalling, no more shutting off (all that was done by the mechanic at the workshop)

He installed the new OEM spark plugs, and changed the wires and coils with the provided MSD ones, I have to check the truck if the "weird" sound is gone or not, probably tomorrow or the day after

will get back to you with updates ASAP

OP
OP
elMechanic

elMechanic

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed update
so the sound has been gone since spark plugs, wires, coil were changed

but engine stalling and shutting off returned.. probably gonna need to change the throttle body and/or injectors

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would you mind posting how much you paid for the parts and where you bought them, if OEM or not and if you go with a new throttle body and injectors could you post those as well. I’m probably going to order new plugs, wires and coils even though the plugs only have 40k on them. I know it’s not gonna be cheap. Thanks!

OP
OP
elMechanic

elMechanic

Reaction score
Would you mind posting how much you paid for the parts and where you bought them, if OEM or not and if you go with a new throttle body and injectors could you post those as well. I’m probably going to order new plugs, wires and coils even though the plugs only have 40k on them. I know it’s not gonna be cheap. Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply,
I got the MSD coils and wires from SDHQ 546$ , and the OEM spark plugs from the dealership for 85-100$ Dont remember exactly (weird sound cleared and no more coming)

With regards to the throttle body and injectors (for the engine stalling and shutting off problem-which still occurs) I will do it this week, and update you about the prices