GEN 1 I need Help please - Front grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SVTRaptorGT500

SVTRaptorGT500

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have an update.

I went to go get a tire rotation and a balance and according to the guy he said that the machine was asking for 12.5. whatever that means. So I am assuming that the wheels in the front were off. Way off ... That grinding noise pretty much is gone now. I can hear it a little bit though, it's faint but I have to be trying to hear it.

I changed out the Transfer case shift motor. It shifts without the wrench. However when I put it into 4L it feels like it goes into limp mode, and then after a while it will jerk pretty hard I to 2nd gear. Kind of startles me a bit. So any help on that is greatly appreciated!

I still haven't changed out the front diff fluid ... I don't have a way to pump it out. If anyone can recommend a pump to extract you are a rockstar!

TIA!

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a specific installation procedure to follow when replacing the IWEs. The IWE needs to be compressed and the CV shaft depth needs to be measured to ensure correct installation. Otherwise you will have repeat failures.
Do you know the specs/procedure for setting the CV shaft depth? Just curious because odly enough I was watching fordmakuloco’s video on CV shaft and IWE replacement and didn’t remember him mention CV shaft depth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SVTRaptorGT500

SVTRaptorGT500

Reaction score
Hello,
I do not know that. He wiggles the wheel hub to make sure that the CV moves. That's about all he does. Every video Ive seen did it exactly like makeuloco. I'll look it up to see if I can find how to measure.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you know the specs/procedure for setting the CV shaft depth? Just curious because odly enough I was watching fordmakuloco’s video on CV shaft and IWE replacement and didn’t remember him mention CV shaft depth.
Minimum spec is 15.5 mm between the axle end and inner bearing race. The IWE also needs to be collapsed under full vacuum during installation.

OP
OP
SVTRaptorGT500

SVTRaptorGT500

Reaction score
Minimum spec is 15.5 mm between the axle end and inner bearing race. The IWE also needs to be collapsed under full vacuum during installation.
I changed out the Transfer case shift motor. It shifts without the wrench. However when I put it into 4L it feels like it goes into limp mode, and then after a while it will jerk pretty hard into 2nd gear. Kind of startles me a bit.
What do you think is going on with 4L?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I changed out the Transfer case shift motor. It shifts without the wrench. However when I put it into 4L it feels like it goes into limp mode, and then after a while it will jerk pretty hard into 2nd gear. Kind of startles me a bit.
What do you think is going on with 4L?
Does the wrench light come on? Regardless, I would start by pulling DTCs with ForScan. It’s also possible something is mechanically binding in the T-case.